XP3 Cannister

Vallisneria

I just bought a Rena Xp3 filter and was wondering if it was supposed to come with bio media(rings or bio stars). I'm setting it up right now and I assumed all the media would be included in the box but there is no bio media, only a couple sized sponges, a filter pad and some bio zorb.

I'm thinking of putting my old AC sponges into the canister to seed it for a while. But then what kind of bio media should I get?

Also, what do you have in your xp3 for media and in what order?

Cool, I'll have to swing by tomorrow and grab some.

Does any one not have special bio media in their canisters? And went with just sponges.

My fellow hobbyist friends in Sweden are often using sponge mats, the ones with slightly larger holes in it, cut up in squares. It works really good apparently, and is way cheaper.

post-1979-1187911149_thumb.gif

I have Pieces of 1/2" thick black sponge fairly porous in 1 of my xp3 filters with the ceramic rings and some of the rena sponges and all works well

I"m thinking of leaving the bottom tray filled with the sponges it came with(bottom 2 are course, top 2 are finer) and then in the second tray putting more sponges(right now its filled with my used AC sponges) and then in the top tray filling it with some bio rings and the piece of filter pad that it came with. That way if I clean the sponges too much by accident there is still a bit of bio media left.

So far I hooked the canister up. I had a bit of a problem when I accidentally hooked the hoses up wrong but now that its fixed its seems to be working ok. Its making a bit of a humming noise but its not too bad. Its creating a nice flow accross the tank. Much better then the 2 AC power filters I had on before.