In the beginning...

African_Fever

Well, I've finally started the tank build. Here's a pic of the supplies I've picked up so far. I'm trying to document everything as I go, and will do my best to keep a tally of exact costs too.

post-45-1196683526_thumb.jpg

Tank is going to be 71.5"x26.75"x22" tall. It fits the inside bottom of an existing stand I built (hence the 71.5" length), and I'm using the front glass from a broken tank I picked up a CAS auction for $5 (already had the glass cut down to size and they never charged me!). Paint is Aquapon 95-133 (I think - I'll have to check), a potable water safe, 2-part epoxy that Totem was able to special order for me.

I finished putting the back and sides on last night, and will hopefully finish the rest of the glueing/screwing today to have the tank ready for more pics and paint once it warms up (the garage heater is on almost all the time just keeping it at 12-15C in the midst of this cold weather).

The construction of the tank is all but completed. All that's left is the final brace across the back, and I need to decide on how many cutouts and what shape I'll be doing - the brace is 8" across the back, and I'll at least be doing 2 cut-outs for AC110's (though its current stand won't allow that), and am thinking about doing 4 round cut-outs so I won't have to use any clips for 2 FX5's. I'll post some more pics as soon I get this last piece done, which will hopefully be in a day or two if I can find the time.

• 1 month later...

I've finally completed painting the tank, and the glass was siliconed in place today. Will be doing one more coat of paint on the outside tomorrow morning before filling the tank for a trial run in the garage tomorrow night. I will have pics to post tomorrow once the tank is upright again (it's glass down with weights on the glass right now), along with a run-down of the costs and approximate time involved.

Well, here's the pics of where I'm at so far.

post-45-1201803396_thumb.jpg

post-45-1201803377_thumb.jpg

post-45-1201803389_thumb.jpg

The cutouts are for AC500's should I change the location of the stand one day (right now it's flush against a wall so there's no room for them), with the holes for canister inflow/suction, and was even thinking of a DIY spraybar across the back from end to end.

Filled the tank with water, and it appears as if I either didn't mix the last coat correctly, or the paint didn't cure properly. It was in a heated garage (about 15-18C) to cure, with the last coat of paint applied Sunday. As soon as I started to fill it with water, I could rub my hand on the paint it would appear as if it were rubbing off. So I'm going to let it dry and look at my options. Right now I'm thinking that it would just be easiest to apply a coat of silicone to the entire tank using a putty knife. Does anyone see any problems with this approach (besides taking 3-4 tubes, which really isn't all that bad at $5 a tube)?

This is so frustrating after all this work and waiting for the paint/silicone to cure - I had pictures of filling it with fish by the weekend!

The concern I would have with spreading silicone would be having the fish find a stray piece to chew on,essentially pulling the plug on the tank!

I've been considering building a large plywood tank and one thought I had for sealing it was a spray in liner like armaguard or rhino etc. I'm not sure what the cost would be though.

I'm waiting to hear back from Aquatic Ecosystems about shipping their Sweetwater epoxy to Canada - if so, I'll have it ordered up today, and will begin taking out the silicone and glass and re-sanding the tank. It appears the manufacturer of the stuff I used changed what their website says since I bought the paint, and it can't be applied with a brush and needs a 45 minute 'mix' time. Oh well. You live and learn.

Fantastic looking job! Bummer on the first paint but once you get that sorted you're off to the races. I'll be very interested to hear what the final cost comes in at as I have well over 1000 gallons of large tanks going into my new house. This could be an interesting alternative to single handedly paying the college fund for Concept Aquariums owner's kids. Hang in there!

I'd be concerned that if the paint did not adhere properly then the silicone would just come off in places with the paint.

Perhaps the paint supplier has a contact # you could call to ask what to do next to cure the painit properly?

Looks like a great tank in any event, can not wait to see the finished product.

Hal

You could also line it with arborite and seal the seams.

It looks like Aquatic Eco isn't going to be an option, unfortunately. Because the paint is a hazardous material, to fed-ex it would be $270.

When I was filling the tank, I gave it a good wipe-down in an attempt to 'rub off' whatever was rubbing off, and see if anymore would. I drained the tank as soon as it was completely filled, and have now also wiped it down with a wet rag - it appears as if no more is going to rub off. So I might be ok with this. I'm thinking I'll give it a couple more days to cure completely, cut out most of the silicone, re-do the silicone, and try filling it again.

I don't think that lining the tank with thin glass is a viable option - the tank will most likely flex, and the thin glass would probably break when this occurs - plus I think it would be pretty difficult to get the glass cut to the exact dimensions needed to there'd be no gaps anywhere.

Arborite is actually something I've considered before, I just wasn't too sure about the long-term viability of it submersed, and if it would be potable water safe. I know it's food safe, but there are different requirements for limited/temporary contact versus long-term contact.