Driftwood

Mandy

I don't think it would kill the fish immediately but over the lifetime of the fish and especially if i had fry then the consequences might turn up. I don't think the river polutants are good for a fishes long term health even if it doesn't obviously hurt them in the beginning. (just like gaining weight you don't notice a differece on the scale until a week or two after christmas or like diabetes a little bit of sugar plus that smidgion extra over many many years).

Your best bet would be to wait till someone online has some for sale if you want inexpensive. Or hit a less poluted source like a lake.

Good luck

L

• 3 weeks later...

i have put driftwood in my tank but first i litterally boiled the crap out of it, & plus it takes out the tinting u get at first too,i boiled them for about 15 minutes,

The easiest way to treat driftwood is to boil it. Not only will boiling kill any grubblies, but it will also leach out most of the tannins (and other 'toxins') before it goes into your tank. If the pieces are too big to boil, then bake it in the oven, or put it into a barrel w. a strong salt concentration

• 2 weeks later...

regardless of popular opinion any drift wood as long as it has been aged is safe for your tank you dont need to boil or bake it, all my driftwood comes from the river and all i've ever done is pressure wash it with water only no soap. a pressure washer gets into every nook and cranny of the wood and will blast off any old rotting pieces of wood you wouldn't want in your tank. do what ever your comfortable doing but there is a lot of misconception out there

• 2 weeks later...