Pleco Killers

Doc_Polit

I have tried BN and a few other pleco's in my male hap/peacock tank, but they all met the same fate. they never lasted more than a month. I am currently using zebra snails, which try really hard but cant keep up. The fish leave them alone as well as the snails are nice to look at.

I had to get rid of my leopard pleco because of being picked on, otherwise he probably would have met the same fate. I actually have chinese algae eaters in my most aggressive malawi tank, and some synodontis angelicus in my 75 mbuna tank. I would highly recommend trying out the synodontis petricola too, as they seem to hide well and move quite quickly. Pleco's eyes seem to be an easy target for fish to eat, but I always thought BN were better because of the spikes on their noses. It could just be the types of haps/peacocks you have.....any compressiceps by any chance? just kidding, although you would think with the name malawi eye biter that they actually like to eat eyes.

I think what works in some tanks, does not necessarily work in others. You could possibly try another pleco, but adding some small caves near the bottom where the other fish won't go.

I have tried BN and a few other pleco's in my male hap/peacock tank, but they all met the same fate. they never lasted more than a month. I am currently using zebra snails, which try really hard but cant keep up. The fish leave them alone as well as the snails are nice to look at.

I had used nerite snails but it was impossible for me to keep them upright as the fish kept flinging them around the tank in an effort to eat them. Now I just have the empty shells in the tank as macabre decoration!

• 2 weeks later...

I have small pleccos in with my Mbuna's and oither fish and have had no killing but it could be that the store i bought some of the fish from had peccos in almost every tank.

Maybe get i BIG one and it'll teach them to leave the plecco alone and or it could be the plecco is seen as competition for food and or baby fry so more feeding or different food for the two??

I'm hoping that one of these ideas might help with the reason.

Good luck

L