Wild Native Fish

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here is my failed attempt at a Brook Trout photo in the photo tank. This is a big fish, almost the width of the tank. I couldn't really keep it from thrashing around when it was alive and they (obviously) just don't look the same when they're dead.

I think the solution will be to make a movable 3D background (probably a series of them) that I can move closer to the front to trap the big fish at the front for photography. This should work well since I can make them cheaply out of styrofoam/concrete and will be able to make a bunch of them each matching a specific biotope (eg. Trout in rocky streams, Suckers in murky river bottoms). So I will end up with a greater variety of backgrounds. Anyways here is a pic:

Salvelinus fontinalis- The Brook Trout

496_9655.jpg

It's still a nice fish, but the representation is rubbish. Hopefully next time I'll be ready to get a better shot.

One a side note, I am running into some problems with scratches on the acrylic tank. Does anyone know about polishing the scratches out? Is it an expensive process?

Thanks for looking,

Taylor

• 1 month later...

I always get around to editing the pics that I would usually throw out in the winter months. These two pics were totally full of various problems (glare, water spots/drops, bubbles, and tons of debris). I've been bored so I went ahead and edited all of the junk out and the pics turned out quite a lot better than they were.

This one is familiar, I think I posted a thread about editing pics a while ago. I showed the before and after of this pic, but the "after" version was still not perfect, so here it is... perfected!

Esox Lucius- The Northern Pike

EsoxluciusA.jpg

Here's one I haven't posted before. I saved it because I thought it was a nice shot, but really didn't want to have to edit out all of the junk at the time.

Couesius plumbeus- The Lake Chub, another breeding male

DSC_0520.jpg

I hope you enjoy these two shots!

Taylor

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I finally got to do some real fishing and fish photography this weekend. We camped out at the Red Deer River and did some fishing during a float downstream. There were plenty of nice holes full of Goldeye (my first time catching them). I was happy to put my new underwater camera setup to use and got this nice shot among others:

Hiodonalosoidescopy.jpg

So begins this year's collection of native fish photos, now I really feel like 2009 has begun! I'll be out at Pigeon Lake this weekend in time to catch the Iowa Darter spawn. I'll get some pics of them with the photo tank and hopefully will capture some breeding behaviour underwater.

Taylor :D

I ordered the camera and underwater housing through amazon.com. I thought it was a better deal than a purely UW camera since it has alot more functions, it'll be great for a travel camera. I agree, remote shots are great, I hope to get something like that setup eventually, but am too chicken to leave this pricey equipment at the bottom of a river right now!!

Taylor

Thanks Iceturf :)

Here is my best Iowa Darter shot from the weekend. There are a couple others worth sharing, but I'll have to edit them a bit first. I gotta say this shot is waaaaay better than my previous pics of this species!!

DSC_0046c.jpg

After watching these fish in my photo tank again, I was really tempted to take some home with me. I think I'll have to order some fish from this genus from the States, they are really great little fish!

Thanks for lookin'

Taylor

Thanks Gerry.

Yeah I just use one. I used to use that Eclipse 6 gallon tank that I showed earlier, but the acrylic gets scratched too much. So now I use a 10 gallon with a concrete background instead. The extra space actually works out great, giving the fish more room to behave naturally and I can get better shots. I can also use it for larger fish than the 6 gallon could, hopefully some juvenile gamefish.

I want to make a very small photo tank out of acrylic that I can make a box for. Then I can paint the background grey or green, or even blue, to get those nice scientific pics of the fish. It will likely be thin enough to not allow the fish to turn around in the tank, to make things simpler.

Taylor

• 1 year later...