The weekend from HELL.

Leon71

I'll try to make this short, but what a weekend.

I was abruptly waken on Saturday morning to my 150 gal. tank dumping all over my study floor. At least half of the water was already out of the tank. It has a crack on the back from the bottom left corner all the way to 12" from the top right corner. I scrambled to get all 38 fish into various buckets, pails, or whatever I could find. Remove all the rocks and gravel. Rip up the carpet and underlay. Call up a couple of buddies with wet vacs to help out. Load the tank on my truck.

So now what? I call up Big Al's and they have a new tank in stock. Awesome. I get there, and they already have the tank at the front door. I unload the broken tank and load up the new one. Thanks to Jeff and Mike at the store.

Set up the new aquarium, filled it with water, added all the fish back in. And I only lost one female Fryeri out of all the chaos. It really could have went a lot worse.

Thanks again to BA's and to all that helped out.

Leon

It was an All-Glass 150 gal. 72"l x18"w x29"h. I set the tank up in April 2007. It is on a custom stand that I made. The stand would hold a truck. It is perfectly straight and level. And the tank was on 1/2" styro just for good measure. I checked it for level every couple of weeks for the first six months, and about once a month since then. It has never moved.

That sounds like a crazy weekend. Thank goodness that you weren't away for the weekend. I hope the carpet is okay. I can lend you my dirt devil carpet cleaner unless it's beyond repair.

Don't forget that damage might be covered by house insurance.

Good luck

Lisa

Was your 150 gallon one of those tall Perfecto tanks? If so you may not be out of the woods. I had one replaced under warranty (the silicone let go at the bottom of the tank) and less than 11 months later the replacement tank blew out the exact same way. I think the water pressure is too much in the tall tanks so I hope that you replaced it with something longer.

Also I have heard that placing a tank on styrofoam will void your warranty so you may want to be careful with that. Ours was on a level tile floor in our basement and the stand came with the tank, just FYI.

Thanks for the info Leon. In the past All-Glass only offered a 1 yr warranty, but since being bought out by Central Garden & Pets (Aqueon is their new aquatic division) they now offer a lifetime warranty on tanks that are 56 gallons & up ....... but if the aquarium stand is not manufactured by All-Glass, Aqueon, or Oceanic (all 3 divisions are owned by Central) the warranty is void. Sounds like you got lucky.

FYI - a person in Calgary that I bought a stand from last year had a 150 all-glass (same dimensions as yours) and after approx 1 yr it began to bow out on them. They had also purchased it at BA's in Edmonton.

They are checking into warranty on the tank. The crack is very strange, almost like some type of delamination. I am not going to go through house insurance as really all that I lost was the underlay, maybe the carpet, and a tank if it is not covered under warranty. I sure am glad that my basement isn't finished yet. I am literally a couple of days from drywall installation down there.

Neil, the new tank is an Aqueon, so I hope it will be better. I know about the warranty thing and the tank has to be on their stands. But with a persistent, and thorough, explanation of my stand build, the guys down at BA's were pretty convinced that the stand was not an issue. Fingers crossed, maybe Aqueon will cover it.

Thanks, Leon

That does sound weird. Typically when it's a side to side (and corner to corner) break it's from torsion/twist to the tank, which equates to the stand being off level. I'm not saying that's the case, because it certainly doesn't sound like it. Most tanks can take a fair bit of twist, or being off level front to back quite a bit before they give out. Here's to hoping that Aqueon doesn't cause you any grief over the warranty. BTW - the new Aqueon tanks are still being made by All-Glass, Central Pets & Garden simply bought them out, along with Oceanic.

I did take some pictures, but I haven't downloaded them yet.

The aquarium is an All-Glass, not a Perfecto. That is why I bought an All-Glass, because of the reputation of being rock solid. I still think that they are, I just happened to get one that had a flaw.

I believe that they will put it right and honor the warranty. As soon as the basement is finished, the new tank will go downstairs. And I already have the fishroom framed to hold a 210 gal. in-wall tank. It will be picture framed to face the Family room.