Choosing new center piece fish

Vallisneria

My last angelfish died today so I'll need to start looking for a replacement. I've always had angelfish as the center piece fish for this tank, so I'm not sure if I should go with more angels or try something new. Thats why I thought i'd ask for suggestions.

Here is my tank:

58g (36X18 foot print)

heavily planted with an open swimming space towards the front.

Lots of driftwood

Tankmates:

5 congos tetras

1 dwarf neon rainbowfish

1 BN pleco

5 Zebra loaches

2 Paraotocinclus aka bull dog plecos

1 SAE

The criteria for the new fish is that it can't eat or destroy plants. It can't eat or attack my smaller community fish and it has to be around medium sized(4-6" or so). I want a center piece fish, not another small fish swimming around with all the rest.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Edited by degrassi

1. HIGH FIN LYER TAIL RED EYE VELVELT SWORDTAIL (beautiful colorful fish fell in love with them at the fish show)

But I also really think Angels are beautiful as well...

3. Slough Sharks Idea works too... :thumbs:

Edited by BlackMumba

Badis badis are too small and shy for this tank. But I've wanted to try keeping them.

1. HIGH FIN LYER TAIL RED EYE VELVELT SWORDTAIL (beautiful colorful fish fell in love with them at the fish show)

I'd love to keep these guys. Do you know who's fish they were in the show? I haven't seen any for sale around edmonton. If you find some let me know :)

Has anyone kept Festivums(flag cichlids?). Are they shy? aggressive? Good with plants?

Has anyone seen any High quality koi angelfish around? With LOTS of Orange(not yellow). I love a nice koi angelfish.

Keep the suggestions coming. I might take a trip and check out what some of the shops have, get some ideas. But since I mostly keep africans my knowledge of some of the other fish is lacking.

Has anyone kept Festivums(flag cichlids?). Are they shy? aggressive? Good with plants?

I don't know abouit the plants but they are shy.

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/518.htm

How about Keyholes?

http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/181.htm

I've never really wanted to keep discus. They look pretty but the maintenace is more then I want to do.

Would Kribs work? I've heard they can be pretty territorial when breeding and can keep all the fish stuck to one side of the tank. IS this the norm or just get an aggressive pair.

Severums dont' work well with plants right?

Firemouths? Are they aggressive?

Would Kribs work? I've heard they can be pretty territorial when breeding and can keep all the fish stuck to one side of the tank. IS this the norm or just get an aggressive pair.

I raised 4 male kribs in a community tank and they were really hard on my cardinal tetras. Maybe the bigger tetras would fair better, but the kribs were only 1/2 grown when they started eating tank mates. I have seen breeding kribs keep frontosas and parrot cichlids (that were 10 times bigger) all to one side of the tank.

Maybe your center piece could be a http://parrotcichlid.com/... Might get too big for a 55g and not sure about digging, but they can't byte :)

Sorry about your angelfish :(

I picked up some Firemouths brought in by Rusty Wessel at teh last auction. They're the Blue Mextica variety, and they're great! They're the centerpiece in my 135 which is fully planted and has some small Geo juvies and had some smaller tetras (sold them) which the firemouths never bother.