Tank weight in room questions

firestorm

I have some questions I would like to ask those who know about tank weight and floor weight capacity.

I just bought a gorilla rack from costco today, in the hopes of setting it up in the same room I already have my 2 90 gallon tanks. Both 90's I currently have are on the outside load bearing wall about 2 feet apart from one another. I was planning on setting the rack up on the wall opposite of the tanks, which I believe isn't a load bearing wall. I was inquiring about a 75 gallon tank to go on the gorilla rack, but might go with another 90 instead. I was also planning on putting a couple 10 gallon tanks, and a couple 20 gallon tanks on the same rack.

The house is about 30 years old, the rack will be sitting so that the floor joists will be perpendicular to it. And the room is approximately 10-12 feet long (sorry, couldn't find my tape measure). I live upstairs as well (if you haven't figured it out by now). My question and would be, is this possibly going to be a problem? I am just worried with the weight of all the tanks in the same room will cause the floor to collapse, and really don't want my fish and tanks to end up in the basement lol. Can anyone tell me from a floor expert perspective if this will be possible, or whether I shouldn't risk it? Thanks

I'm no expert but to me it seems like you are pushing your luck with 2 90 gals in one room load bearing wall or not. Check to see what kind of joists you have and maybe if possible give the sizes of the wood supporting your home. For example 2 by 8 joists with the floor covering being OSB and 2 by 2 joist cross bar thingies

Good luck

L

Unfortunately I can't really look at the joists and beams to see what kind they used, the ceiling is drywalled grrrr. My father might know, but I guess I might not want to take the chance. I guess I will be putting it downstairs on the concrete in the same room as my 120. My brother lives downstairs, but I really didn't want to have to put anymore tanks down there, I won't be able to watch them very often :(

I have a similar question...I recently found a 125 gal tank and stand that I am considering buying and putting in my bay window (the windows are only on the side of the bay and not in the middle and sun does come through it). The house is only 5 years old and the joists will run perpendicular as well. The tank I am looking at comes with a full stand that looks very sturdy but my wife is still concerned that the floor will not hold it and we have no experience with a tank this size so I am hoping someone will have a similar setup and tell me its safe...hehe...

I did read the section on the link above and I am by no means an architect but if I understand correctly, because its going to be on an outside wall with the joists positioned the way they are I should be ok.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

I have a similar question...I recently found a 125 gal tank and stand that I am considering buying and putting in my bay window (the windows are only on the side of the bay and not in the middle and sun does come through it). The house is only 5 years old and the joists will run perpendicular as well. The tank I am looking at comes with a full stand that looks very sturdy but my wife is still concerned that the floor will not hold it and we have no experience with a tank this size so I am hoping someone will have a similar setup and tell me its safe...hehe...

I did read the section on the link above and I am by no means an architect but if I understand correctly, because its going to be on an outside wall with the joists positioned the way they are I should be ok.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Any bay window I've ever seen on houses under construction are pre-fabbed off site and just nailed onto the outside of the house.

A 125 Gal. tank weighs more than one of those "Smart Cars", would you park one of those in your window?

If you meant 'in front of the bay window' then I see no problem, however 'in' the window, no.

I had a 135 on the main floor of a 25 yr old house with joists running perpendicular. No sagging, and my floor didn't collapse. I don't think you'll have problems, myself.

I don't think you will have any problems with a 125 either. I have 180 gallons of water against one outside wall, and the floor is just fine. Besides that, if it's a 6' tank, it would distribute the weight among joists a little better. From what I understand though, newer houses usually aren't built quite as tough. They tend to use more manufactured and man made products now days to build the houses.

My problem is I already have so much weight on that specific floor already. And if I were to try and put the thing in my bedroom on another load bearing wall, I won't have anywhere to put my bed haha. So for me downstairs it will probably go.

I had a 180 gallon in my living room of our bungalow for two years. No Problems. It is now in the basement because there is more room down there.

I have a 90 in the living room now - it has been there 3 years.

I have a question about the gorilla rack itself. How much tank weight do you think each shelf can support?

Edited by punman

All I know is the main shelf is probably the only shelf that can support a larger sized tank. I don't think I would put more than a 90 on it though. The upper shelves would only be able to handle smaller tanks.

Says it has a 2400 lb weight capacity on it. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...33441_200333441

Edited by firestorm

Wow I am so glad I posted here before I bought that tank and put it there. Thank you Ruadh for your post...it wasnt until I read that, that I went outside and realized that the bay area hangs off the house with no support whatsoever...the area in front of it is all supported but thats about it.

So thanks again.

When I built a house 8 years ago, I talk to a structural engineer and he advised me to spend the extra $500 and put in an laminate beam to support a 230 gallon on main floor. He told me that I could probably go without, but as the house ages, could be problems later. This tank was not going to be on/against a load-bearing wall.

I don't think my father would go for building support beams downstairs to help hold the weight. It definitely is worth spending the extra money if building your own house, to have them build the supports extra strong, especially if you are a fish nut and know you will have tanks on the main floor :)

houses are so overbuilt (especiall the older ones) i would not hesitate for a second to put those tanks on a main floor. i've seen a 450 gal on a second floor of a 40 year old house with no problems. assuming you have 2x8 or 2x10 joists how much force do you think it woul take to break just one of them standing on end? you would be AMAZED how strong they are. and your rack will be spanning MANY joists

You think so? I can take a look down in the furnace room and see what size the beams and joists are. I wasn't worried about my 2 90's because they are spread over a long distance, and are on the load bearing wall. I was just concerned to put the stand against a wall that wasn't load bearing, since it will be holding either a 75 or a 90, plus a 20 gallon, and a 15 gallon. I was only going to set up the bottom half of it, the rest I can use somewhere else for some smaller tanks.

Edited by firestorm