410 gallon tank

rED O

Ok...........now you have made an assumption that is not correct. Yes skyscrapers are held together with bolts. But they are not stood on top of bolts. I am a structural steel detailer. So I work with bolt capacities all the time.

Bolts have a capacity rated in shear strength and tensile strength. Shear is the resistance 90° to the bolt or across the diameter. The loading capacity changes with whether or not the threads are included or intercepted in the grip of the bolt. Tensile is the resistance to pull along the length of the bolt or stretch. A bolts tensile strength is a bit higher than its shear strength. And then there are slip-critical connections where the clamping action of the bolts causes enough friction between the connected parts that they hold together.

You mentioned that there are 1" thick nuts on the inside of the endcap. Are these fully welded or tacked to the plate? This weld is in tension. If they are indeed fully welded around each nut, you will have about 3/4" worth of thread (in the nut) to take the 833 lbs of load. The nut would be better place on the outside, so that it comes up against the endcap in bearing.

Taking that all things are welded properly and you have at least 3/4" of thread usage, you will be ok.

I will not say anything further.

Leon

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stand is sitting in our basement, The whole floor is thick concrete.

Did you build your house..... I know how thick concrete is poured, I do it for my dad...

nope, this house has been here for a while. are you going to come see the tank when its done?

Did you build your house..... I know how thick concrete is poured, I do it for my dad...

nope, this house has been here for a while. are you going to come see the tank when its done?

Yeah I'll come check it out, ask your dad when the house was built that'll tell ya lots.

Yeah I'll come check it out, ask your dad when the house was built that'll tell ya lots.

a long time ago... It can hold the tank no problem.

a long time ago... It can hold the tank no problem.

Code states that houses built in the 60's have cement at roughly 700 psi which was code. I'd put a piece of plywood under the feet if I were you.

Code states that houses built in the 60's have cement at roughly 700 psi which was code. I'd put a piece of plywood under the feet if I were you.

Couldn't resist.....cement is an additive and concrete the result.

They take 3 samples when pouring concrete and the three must be 500 psi or better, so you could have better concrete or worse is possible - if missed anything during the sampling procedure. What this means is a load of any more than 500 psi will crush the concrete regardless of how thick or well the grade under it has lasted over the years. Big tanks are serious, and must be taken seriously.

With the steel plates he's laying down he'll have no problem of spreading out the weight. The other thing to consider if one of these bolts did fail the stand would not come crashing down the 2" at the most it would be raised. The stand itself would stay almost completely level. After time there would be a problem but I'm sure Dustin is the type of guy that spends quite abit of time around his tank and would notice this.

Couldn't resist.....cement is an additive and concrete the result.

They take 3 samples when pouring concrete and the three must be 500 psi or better, so you could have better concrete or worse is possible - if missed anything during the sampling procedure. What this means is a load of any more than 500 psi will crush the concrete regardless of how thick or well the grade under it has lasted over the years. Big tanks are serious, and must be taken seriously.

I figured someone would catch me on that :) My dad and grandpa both said it will make the concrete crumble and buckle with time doesn't really matter how thick it is.

The other thing to consider if one of these bolts did fail the stand would not come crashing down the 2" at the most it would be raised. The stand itself would stay almost completely level.

I would love to see that theory put to test if one of the corner bolts failed. Placing a torsional load on an aquarium (when one corner is higher or lower than the other 3 corners) is one of the main causes of glass failure in tanks.

With a 450 gallon tank, that failure could very well take place immediately.

The other thing to consider if one of these bolts did fail the stand would not come crashing down the 2" at the most it would be raised. The stand itself would stay almost completely level.

I would love to see that theory put to test if one of the corner bolts failed. Placing a torsional load on an aquarium (when one corner is higher or lower than the other 3 corners) is one of the main causes of glass failure in tanks.

With a 450 gallon tank, that failure could very well take place immediately.

Test done and complete while I was setting up my tank and stand. I have almost the same stand design as Dustin and with one leg threaded so it is off the ground it does not cause the tank to go out very far off level if even noticeable. I would say most people who shim there tanks by other means probably will have there tanks further out than this was.

As far as my commercially made wood stand for my 300 I would not have any safe means of shimming this really without adding more stress to one section of plywood than the others and would consider this to cause more problems than the bolt legs.

I think it's great that everyone is looking out for his best interests but I really do think this is a great method that I have seen in use for years in alot worse situations.