410 gallon tank

rED O

DUST, ,,,,how thick is that sheet of glass??

its going to be 5/8 glass. sorry for the late reply tucker.we are not going to use plywood on the front because that just wastes wood. So we are going to use 2x6 on the front to reinforce it and make it stronger. We will start to build it when the glass comes in. It was 172.19 :thumbs: nice and cheap :thumbs: Its coming from china, i hope its not as cheap as i paid for.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good Dustin. I'm not sure I would buy the cheapest glass I could find for something like this. But thats me. Hopefully it's o.k cause thats a great price.

Do you have plans? I'm not sure what you mean by this:

we are not going to use plywood on the front because that just wastes wood. So we are going to use 2x6 on the front to reinforce it and make it stronger.

Can you clarify? Looking forward to seeing the project!

Boom :boom:

Sounds good Dustin. I'm not sure I would buy the cheapest glass I could find for something like this. But thats me. Hopefully it's o.k cause thats a great price.

Do you have plans? I'm not sure what you mean by this:

we are not going to use plywood on the front because that just wastes wood. So we are going to use 2x6 on the front to reinforce it and make it stronger.

Can you clarify? Looking forward to seeing the project!

Boom :boom:

instead of using a whole sheet of plywood for the front when you just use it around the border is kind of a waste of wood. So the tank will kinda look like a picture frame with 2x6 around the glass. That will also be stronger.

I didn't use a whole sheet with a hole cut in the middle for the front of mine either (due to it being a waste IMO of plywood). I had all my cuts figured out to be exactly what I wanted, and used 4" strips of plywood to 'frame' the front of my tank, the same way I used strips across the top (front and back) rather than having a brace go from the front to the back (though I never used any bracing on the top sides of my design). I have about 3" of overlap (glass overlapping the plywood), but would go for less next time for sure.

A 2x6 could be used, but IMO the window would be too recessed, and you definitely don't need the full 6" of support around it - your support for the glass pressure is going to come from the edges of the glass, not wherever the glass touches the the wood. I think you could get away with 1" of overlap, but I'd personally shoot for 1.5-2" (I have 3" this time but think that it's way more than needed, and am planning on 2" or less next time). Think about how little 'overlap' there is on a glass tank - only the thickness of the glass itself, so even doubling the glass thickness and you'll have more than enough support (not to mention that ply/glass tanks are already way stronger than solid glass).

instead of using a whole sheet of plywood for the front when you just use it around the border is kind of a waste of wood. So the tank will kinda look like a picture frame with 2x6 around the glass. That will also be stronger.

Oh I see. I wouldn't use either of those methods personally. But you seem to have your plan, so I won't interfere unless you ask for my input. There are many ways to skin a cat and the way I would do it isn't necessarily better by any means. And I've never built a plywood aquarium so what do I know! Ha ha. Anyway, as a woodworker I'd be happy to offer general advice on materials and application if you like. Just let me know!

Boom

:boom:

• 1 month later...

turns out It is going to be a 430 gallon tank. We are still waiting for the glass from china :unsure: but we have about 10 000 things ahead before the tank gets build ( wire the basement, put the fireplace in ect) but I got the plywood and got it cut. I found a guy to fiber glass the wood. I got the 2x6 to start making the front and a few other supplys like the glue, screws and other small things. Its coming along, slowly but surely. We hope to have it up not later than middle of march. keeps getting pushed back :bang1: but steps are being made for progress.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Building the stand this week( or getting it built) :thumbs:

glass is late from china :rolleyes: we start the build next weekend. Buy the time the glass gets here all we will have to do is put the glass in a filler up :thumbs:

the glass should be here buy the end of april.

the plywood is all cut and sitting in the garage. The metal we are getting this weekend... (i think) and getting it welded up. we start the build this weekend :thumbs: things are going to start coming together fast.