Pond Plants in 210 gallon African Cichlid Tank

soliver

Im in dire need to get some plants into my 210 gallon cichlid tank. I have some cork screw as well as some swords but i want more.

I was considering trying to put some larger pond plants into the tank and see how they work.

I think the larger plants would be harder for the fish to uproot.

Im not sure if there is something wrong with doing that or not?

Please reply with ideas or concerns.

I know it might not be a good idea, but i really want to try it.

I was having a problem with my cork screw getting uprooted but then i cut up old egg cartons, and stuck the roots through the bottom, and i haven't had any problems.

I really want to try it but im not sure if there is a reason why you can't put pond plants in an aquarium.

You can put pond plants in your tank.

You could try some java fern or Anubias too. You attach them to rocks or driftwood so they can't be uprooted and they are tougher, so the fish have a harder time eating them(although my africans still ate them :( ).

I like the eggcrate idea :thumbs:

You can put pond plants in your tank.

You could try some java fern or Anubias too. You attach them to rocks or driftwood so they can't be uprooted and they are tougher, so the fish have a harder time eating them(although my africans still ate them :( ).

I like the eggcrate idea :thumbs:

Im not sure how you would attach them to the drift wood. Please explain

Use an elastic band, thread, fishing line or staple. I've used all of these, and I don't think I'll use fishing line again because it never breaks down - the other 3 will eventually.

Use an elastic band, thread, fishing line or staple. I've used all of these, and I don't think I'll use fishing line again because it never breaks down - the other 3 will eventually.

So once you attach it, it will eventually grab on?

Aren't staples aluminum so they won't rust?

You might be right about that!

Duh.

But yes, once the plant is attached to the wood it can eventually root into the wood. It looks quite nice when that happens but can take quite a while from what I understand.

Boom :boom:

So i decided to take a couple of pictures of my tank and some of my fish. I apologize im not very good at taking pictures yet. Hopefully they will get better.

Here is the link

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=583855532&.php%3Faid%3D188324%26id%3D583855532&_ecdc=true#/album.php?aid=188324&id=583855532

Let me know what you think!

Edited by soliver

I believe that it depends on what kind of cichlids you are keeping. My tangs undig fake plants and anything thats in my tank.

My mubunas on the other hand do not unroot real or fake plants. In my planted tank I have anubias, ludwigia, and bacopa, and I some other one. I hope this helps. You may find at first they pick at the leaves for about a week but they eventually stop, when they catch on they dont taste good.

Try to find plants that have a rubbery testure, I guess they dont like that toughness and taste bad.