Water change changes

Fishful Thinking

When I do my water changes on the 150, afterwards my Copadichromis azureus really colors up, starts protecting an area of the tank and gets really aggressive. I know with other non-cichlid fish big water changes can spark the breeding instinct, but I was under the impression that the rift lakes did not have major fluctuations in the chemical/biological composition of the lake. Any thoughts?

Here's what the azureus looked like last water change:

IMG_0251.jpg

Here are my observations re. WC and behavior.

Normally I change 40% every 4- 5 day's for the discus tank.When I do a very large WC (90-95%) there is a similar response to what you describe. I do this once every 6 weeks or so, to affect the dissolved solids that may have accumulated.

I always assumed that lowering the dissolved solids was the reason. You can't see them and I don't think they are easily measured.

When I change 30 % weekly in my rainbow tank the fish are ok, but when I do a 50 % change there is a noticeable attitude change, that shows me they "seem happier" Here I change 90 % every 3 months or so.

For me, the larger and more frequent changes are the way to go. Since I change a "few" gallons a week :rolleyes: I opt to do it as described but IMO more is better. As someone said " look after the water, the fish will look after themselves"

John

Water changes will stimulate breeding in rift lake fish too.

My fish are always courting/breeding after water changes. I usually do 40-50% every 2 weeks on their tank. Seems to really get them in the mood. Sometimes if there is a certain fish i'm trying to breed i'll actually do a large water change with cooler water to get them spawning.

I've never had any problems with doing large water changes, even large cooler water changes with my africans. The only affect is usually increased breeding.

On my SAs, I've done 50% WC with just the cold tap on! On Tangs, I try to keep it close. Malawi cichlids tend to be a bit more hardy, so I'm not as concerned... just try to get it close.

Just to add my 2 cents Greg, When all my males were in the 55, I also noticed brighter better colors on alot of the fish after a big, fresh water change. They really seemed to like it. On the 180, I've done 2 big water changes but havn't noticed as much of a difference after. Pretty normal behaviour I think.

Boom :boom:

• 2 weeks later...
Would you recommend that for Tanganyikans also??

I would recommend the same for tangs I do a 50% weekly. They come from very pristine water and well oxygenated. They will love you for it. I agree with jason keep the temp close. My tang tank is in a cooler room so my temp can sit at 78-79

Maybe the oxygen level plays a big part as well. It's funny because my fish start flaring and showing off BEFORE I add water back into the tank at water changes. Either they predict that I will add fresh water or it has to do with the powerheads/filter outtakes being above surface, creating some serious surface agitation that increases the oxygen levels.

You have to be particularly careful of water changes of more than 20% with a lot of tangs - they cannot tolerate big changes, especially fry like calvus, compressiceps and leleupis. After every larger water change you might notice some of the fry dying for no apparent reason. If you cut down on the amount they will probably be alright. I found this out a long time ago. Even some adult tangs don't do well with big water changes either. Smaller more frequent changes are the way to go with featherfins, xenos and the like.

You have to be particularly careful of water changes of more than 20% with a lot of tangs - they cannot tolerate big changes, especially fry like calvus, compressiceps and leleupis. ... ... Smaller more frequent changes are the way to go with featherfins, xenos and the like.

This is not the first time I've heard this about keeping Tangs. Some very sound advice I think. I try to keep my water changes smaller and more often on my 55 "mostly tang" tank. My calvus seem to be doing awesome, as are the Cyps I got from your Harold. All 12 are thriving!

Boom :boom:

Regarding changing water I have a few questions. I'm kind of new to this African Cichlid world, but after a water change when do you fully test your water?

As well should the temperature should be about 80-82? and the PH level should be at 7.8 to 9.0? Will frequent water changes help my African Cichlids grow?