LIGHTING

2hot2wheels

I am setting up a 120gl planted tank.(48"x24"x24"). I think I will be going with t-5 fixtures. Anyone have any suggestions reguarding what brand of fixtures and bulbs to use? I noted that Aquagiants are considerably less expensive than the others but I am not sure of the quality.

If you're willing to dish out some cash the sunlight supply setup with geisseman bulbs are what are generally the best quality.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/171/Sunligh...g+Fixtures.html

Bulbs.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/info/378/Giesema...5+HO+Bulbs.html

Also if you're not willing to dish out that much money the Hagen Glo fixtures are supposedly good as well.

As for Aquagiant fixtures that's what i heard about them too, and they are cheap , yes i'm running the 3ft unit over my tank, i found that i had to buff the reflector beforehand. Hoping it last, but oh well if it dies i'll have a fixture body as least, so i can DIY a whole new fixture .

I've used the AG lights, and have only had problems with them when I bought them 2nd hand

I think you may be looking for a wider unit, but I would recommend the sundial T-5's. I loved how it only had one cord, built in timers, and moonlights. Unfortunately the hood i built was to short to fit the unit in so I had to buy the nova extreme series which is nice and slim but has three cords.

I heard that the tek lighting does not have fans for cooling as apparently they don't need them (don't quote me on that). But that would sure be nice as I am not a fan of listening to the fans!

Good luck

• 1 month later...
I am setting up a 120gl planted tank.(48"x24"x24"). I think I will be going with t-5 fixtures. Anyone have any suggestions reguarding what brand of fixtures and bulbs to use? I noted that Aquagiants are considerably less expensive than the others but I am not sure of the quality.
You should check out Catalina Lighting this is where I ordered my light from- bought a 48" T5 high output with 4 bulbs also had them install their dimmable moonlights they also give you your choice of bulbs, I went with 2 6700k & 2 10000k because I wanted to grow plants. This light kit is awesome, blows away my hagen glo system. They shipped to my door for $250 Canadian dollars. I searched locally for something comparable at first and would have had to spend around $800 at the local fishstores to find something equal without dimmable moonlights. We Canadians are getting hosed!

• 5 months later...