Aquaclaer Filters

jus_sum_guy

I got rid of the foam in mine because my Koi clogged it up and it nearly overflowed when the sponges floated up and forced the lid off. I changed the media to Ceramic beads with a sponge pre filter. It's easy to keep clean and doesn't run the risk of clogging like the sponges do. If i ever got another HOB i'd replace the media with ceramic beads immediately since they are sooooo easy to clean and keep unclogged.

Personally the only reason to use Carbon in your filter media is if you are removing meds, or removing a smell in the water. For ammonia and other removers you really should only need those if you plan to be gone for a period of time or really busy for a while and can't do a proper water change(gravel vac and everything) It's also a matter of budget. If you want to spend allot of money on carbon and replacing the carbon then go ahead. Hope this helps

L

Edited by Ishkabod

Mine has pot scrubbers - foam - that filter stuffing stuff to clean up the water - a second foam

Love them!!! Have them on most of my tanks!! Mine have sponge, carbon and Bio max, I think it is. Nobel peace prize to whomever designed them!! Haven't tried any other combo as I'm pleased with them, as is.

I use the sponge that came with it, filter floss and ceramic rings in mine. Works very well, but everytime I shut it off for a water change, I have to pull it apart and clean out the motor or it won't start again... Stupid filter.

I have one like that. Have used a pencil to get it started but then used cooking spray to lube it up. It got into my tank but was gone in a day. My fish don't stick together any more and BN slide around on the glass alot, LOL!!

For those who use the Aquaclear filters, which inserts do you use with it?

I have heard of people who use just the sponge while others use sponge, carbon and another form of media.

Any tips?

It would be for a community tank

I am running about 5 ac filters all different sizes i use the sponge and then the large bio balls on top of that. for the small ones i only have 3 bio balls the biggest one i have i put 17 bio balls in. i put as many bio balls in that will fit.

I have four AC running on two of my tanks. They are awesome. I use foam and ceramic beads in mine. I also added more in take tubes to mine so they go farther down in the tank so when I do water changes I don't have to turn them off. I do 50% water changes so the intake tubes are about two inches from the substrate. I have found it better to use some foam on the end of them as they don't get clogged as often.

Sean

I have four AC running on two of my tanks. They are awesome. I use foam and ceramic beads in mine. I also added more in take tubes to mine so they go farther down in the tank so when I do water changes I don't have to turn them off. I do 50% water changes so the intake tubes are about two inches from the substrate. I have found it better to use some foam on the end of them as they don't get clogged as often.

Sean

I tried the foam on the end of my AC in the koi tank and it clogged up soo fast that the filter stopped working after a few days. That's koi poo for you. It'll do that easily. Umm Where can you get the extender tubes you talked about??

L

Ishkabob ............. the problem isn't with the foam, it's with the type of fish that you are keeping in such a small tank. Place those same fish in a 75 gallon, with two AC 110's, and you will no longer have a problem, until once again your koi outgrow your tank & the filters that you're using.

The idea behind the AC sponges is to catch the larger waste particles, after that you can fine tune them however one sees fit. Many people simply use two sponges.

My set up is the same as Quinn's, with the exception of using a fine blue/white filter media instead of poly wool. Everything can be rinsed & re-used over & over again for many years.

ac5001.jpg

Edited by RD.