SAE & BN Pleco

Kayen

Anyone seen these northside lately?

I can make it to NC at furthest, but definitely not bigals.

-> I bus so i can't make fish purchases.

Looking for TRUE Siamese Algae Eater.

Also, i'm curious - what are you experiences with these fish, i've heard SAE will eat your moss, so i'm going to take out my moss stump if i get one.

Also for BN plecs, i like how they look, what do you guys think of them ?

Oh yeah for BN plecs i don't mind albino / normal.

I just like them .

Unless they've gotten a new shippment (which is totally possible) the SAEs at NC are in fact Flying Foxes - I picked a few up about 6 weeks ago, and they haven't touched the algae much. FFs will eat thread algae, but that's about it.

BNs are great!

Also, i'm curious - what are you experiences with these fish, i've heard SAE will eat your moss, so i'm going to take out my moss stump if i get one.

I've had them eat all the leaves off of Rotala wallichii. Any fine plant might be fair game.

I sold 6 albino BN @2 to 2 1/2" to someone who had an 8' tank covered from one end to the other with green and brown algae. I told him it would likely 2 days max to clean it up and it only took them overnight. He told me the tank was pretty much cleaned up the next morning. Hungry little guys doesn't really cover it. LOL

the thin thread like balls?

or were they actual moss balls?

I saw mossballs for sale somewhere .. i forget but it was actually cladophora. i believe it's called marimo ball or something like that ?

But then lots of fish eat that if that's the case.

So how's everyone's experiences with SAE & Aggression ?

My saes are fat and lazy, they nibble on the algae, but for the tank size just don't keep up. or it's possible I identified them wrong. The stripe is correct in reference to sites on the net.

And it was marimo balls.

Edited by Baos

I've found that SAEs are very active, and only get pushy once they get to about 4" - at that size, they've lost almost all interest in algae too. MMM pellets/flakes/shrimp!

• 2 weeks later...

I have 3 Sae & 2 bushynose plecs in my 100g heavily planted discus tank. Neither of these guys eat any of my plants which include moss, marimo balls and about 7 varieties of stem plants, the plecos don't go near the plants at all only onto the glass and on the wood in my tank. The sae constantly forage algae off the plants, look like their eating the plants but really are not. True Sae look very much like false Sae and flying foxes so be sure to research them well so you know how to tell the difference. Another great fish for algae control is the otocinclus they will clean certain algae off of all things in the tank, but you must watch them as some may go after the slimecoat on certain fish such as discus if their is not enough algae to eat.

I have a few BN and I love them, they can clean a tank in short time, which is fantastic.

I would highly recommend BN.

do all BN eat algae or are some better than others

Young BN plecos are better at eating algae. Sometimes the adults can be a bit lazy and prefer fish foods.

Edited by degrassi