Hardy and Low Maintenance Carpet/Cover Plants?

NomiDemekin

I am about to start up a betta tank once more, and I've recently become addicted to looking at various aquascapes. Which has inspired me to make a planted betta tank. And I was wondering what plants would make an hardy/easy carpet cover for the tank? I'm planning on a 5 gallon, 'scaped to look like a tree on a hill (With a piece of driftwood planted with moss, which I also mean to ask about), with a betta and a few cherry shrimp as the residents. Considering I've never kept a planted tank before, I'm expecting this to be quite the project.

So, any suggestions for the carpet/ground cover? As well, what substrate/filtration/CO2/lighting setup would I need?

Probably the easiest carpet plant I've ever kept is Pygmy Chain Sword (Echinodorus tennelus). Just give it some decent light, some Seachem Excel and a .5-2" substrate and you'll have a nice carpet in a few months (or less).

with a betta and a few cherry shrimp as the residents. Considering I've never kept a planted tank before, I'm expecting this to be quite the project.

So, any suggestions for the carpet/ground cover? As well, what substrate/filtration/CO2/lighting setup would I need?

I hear Baby Tears (Micranthemum umbrosum) grow quickly...I don't keep a carpet in my planted Betta tank, just lots of root plants. I have noticed though, that the Bettas like to attack the shrimp...I don't keep the cherry shrimp, I thought instead i'd check out their behaviour with some bigger ghost shrimp (wayyy cheaper 'cause they're feeder shrimp for fish) and the Bettas definately want to eat 'em. You might want to rethink keeping cherry shrimp with the Betta as it will likely be a very expensive dinner for them.

I think a betta and shrimp is a bad idea. I put the two together for about an hour once and the betta went after the shrimp quite aggresively. If you have at least 2 wpg I like pogostemom helfri. It stays fairly small and looks cool

haven't tried it myself but marselia is kind of like glosso but less demanding

look it up

I have dwarf and regular 4 leaf clover(marselia) myself and think the dwarf stuff is good ground cover. Am getting a little fed up with HC and dwarf hairgrass floating off on me. Also like sagittaria and have had some going for years that's great ground cover and easy too. Bettas are predators and would love the shrimp, as a snack. Don't ask me how I got the dwarf 4 leaf clover as I may have to kill you, lol!!

Micro swords are working well for me, no CO2 and in sand with cichlids trying to rip them all out all day. only 2wpg.

I never had luck with prime seemed to kill either the fish or the plants so I'm not using that either.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! I guess cherry shrimp are out then. I had just been browsing betta websites and forums and cherry shrimp came up repeatedly as a suitable tankmate, depending on the temperment of the betta.

The temperment of the betta is a really really big factor when trying to combine it with other tankmates that aren't female bettas. I'd get something cherry shrimp sized and cheap and see how the betta reacts to it then go from there. Although I'm definitely not an expert. One step at a time. One thing i think is a major factor though must be quantity and quality of the food you feed the Betta fish. Good luck. I'm sure you can figure it out.

L