Calgary Auction

werner

Non Guppy Guppies?? Do you mean Endler Guppies??

Yes, Endler, that's it. I could not find the bag and Cori had already gone to sleep. One of the many times I wish I knew more. I get the impression if we let them loose with the guppies we get sterile hybrids. While we are not looking to breed specificaly, having the tank self populate is a nice thought. Guess we need another 90.....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Endler, that's it. I could not find the bag and Cori had already gone to sleep. One of the many times I wish I knew more. I get the impression if we let them loose with the guppies we get sterile hybrids. While we are not looking to breed specificaly, having the tank self populate is a nice thought. Guess we need another 90.....

I believe you are able to cross breed the two and they're not sterile...but there are some Endler enthusiasts that would wish you not cross breed, apparently the Endlers are endangered in the wild, and they're also a little more difficult to find in the city for a good price. The breeding will happen just by putting the males and females together, and i'm sure you'll find that the males will be ever so persistant in pursuing the females. To keep the fry alive, i'd suggest getting some riccia or java moss otherwise they become lunch. ;)

I believe you are able to cross breed the two and they're not sterile...but there are some Endler enthusiasts that would wish you not cross breed, apparently the Endlers are endangered in the wild, and they're also a little more difficult to find in the city for a good price. The breeding will happen just by putting the males and females together, and i'm sure you'll find that the males will be ever so persistant in pursuing the females. To keep the fry alive, i'd suggest getting some riccia or java moss otherwise they become lunch. ;)

Actually, the fry can survive with the parents. The parents don't eat the fry, at least mine don't. I managed to get quite a colony going. I've only got a couple of (pregnant) females and some males left, I need to move them into their own tank soon so that I can get my colony back up in numbers.

i read about the endlers that only sometimes the hybirds are sterile. and most of the parents will not eat the young. in my two tanks of endlers they are all just mixed in together and they may eat some but lots of babies survive.

I believe you are able to cross breed the two and they're not sterile... The breeding will happen just by putting the males and females together, and i'm sure you'll find that the males will be ever so persistant in pursuing the females. To keep the fry alive, i'd suggest getting some riccia or java moss otherwise they become lunch. ;)
Actually, the fry can survive with the parents. The parents don't eat the fry, at least mine don't. I managed to get quite a colony going. I've only got a couple of (pregnant) females and some males left, I need to move them into their own tank soon so that I can get my colony back up in numbers.

There seems to be a lot of back and forth in general on this mixing, much like the debate on if they are a guppy. I have also now seen a few pics purporting to have fancy hybrid moms popping out nice male hybrid Endler. I suspect some of the cross breading comments can be tied to the general fragility of many fancy guppy lines.

Sounds like since Endlers in general are small and the growth is rapid there is only a few hour window where the parents can eat the fry, and typically only do when overpopulated. Of course most of that hinges on if you believe what you read and see on the Internet.

Our female guppies could still munch junior so for now we have a divider keeping the guppies separated. The fry we have seems to alternate between hiding and swimming with the school.