Sealing a tank

bean22

I went to home depot today to get some silicone to reseal a tank I have... and couldn't find anything that was

aquarium safe... am pretty sure only one sale has to be done... is there a cheaper alternative to the marine seal at big al's?

I went to home depot today to get some silicone to reseal a tank I have... and couldn't find anything that was

aquarium safe... am pretty sure only one sale has to be done... is there a cheaper alternative to the marine seal at big al's?

You can do a search here..... there is a pinned article that is a good one.

I just resealed a tank with GE silicone 1 for windows and doors. under 5.00 at Rona or Home depot.

J

I use this from Home Hardware and Building supplies

silicone002.jpg

ge silicone one is the stuff to use! although the home hardware weathershield works great as well. The g.e. product does not have anything listed on the tube for aquarium use because of liability issues. they dont want to be responsible for someone killing all their fish if they dont use the product correct. as long as it does not have any mold inhibitors its fine to use. so the g.e. one is great stuff. let me know if you have any questions about sealing your tank, used to make them in newfoundland. good luck

Sam Chicklets does a great step by step training topic, try to find it

Derek

Here you go

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=11713

LOL! I did look through home depot... must have totally missed that tube all together.. but I don't need nearly that big of a tube... and I'll have to buy the applicater as well won't I? (I did search the site.. and saw that thread... but still missed the tube on the shelf!)

anyone know where I can get black vinal as well for the bakc wall>

LOL! I did look through home depot... must have totally missed that tube all together.. but I don't need nearly that big of a tube... and I'll have to buy the applicater as well won't I? (I did search the site.. and saw that thread... but still missed the tube on the shelf!)

anyone know where I can get black vinal as well for the bakc wall>

The Weathershield is from Home Hardware, not Home Depot. For black vinyl try a sign making shop or someone like AJ Decals off the ERAS forum.