How is your Brine shrimp hatchery setup

Moutain Dew

I see you can buy a lil brine shrimp hatchery... with a lil cup on top.

I tried it in an ice cream pail...

It says temp should be around 80 deg

My temp is alot cooler... And none of my heaters I trust to put in a pail with only 1l of water.

Please share with me your setup and formula for amount of water and shrimp.

thanx

Edited by Moutain Dew

• 1 month later...

I used an upside down 2 litre bottle (with the bottom cut off), hung up with a coat hanger. The cap was drilled, and a piece of airline hose was inserted into it (for draining out the brine shrimp), and for aerating. The bottle was deep enough to put a heater in (if you wanted BBS in 24 hours).

Just remember to put your air pump above the hatchery.

I do similar to CZAR. I use a small wattage cheap hang-on-back heater (except it just sits in the pop bottle. My aerator hose just goes in from the top (not where the cap is) along side the heater - temp. about 80F

I had issues with hatch rates and gave up on them. Now use microworms(Thanks fleshgear!!) and find them much easier to grow!!! Have a couple of varieties of spawns right now so was thinking I should get the shrimp going again and have the little San Francisco Bay Brand Hatchery(Okay I have three).

Go to brineshrimpdirect.com for lots of info on brine shrimp hatching. I buy the 16 oz. cans. One lasts me over a year. Cost me $25 U.S. Better than buying small vials at $7 or so. Lucky for me my sister lives a few miles from the "factory" in Utah and will pick one up for me from time to time.