Fresh water, gravel or sand?

lt1fj40

Nice!! Thanks everyone for your input..I had no idea you could use play sand and sand blasting sand! I just read somewhere yesterday that some people use pool filter sand..not too sure where in Edmonton to find that but I bet it is more then play sand.

Thanks Again

I dont have to dig really deep into my sand as everything sits on top. I just lightly vacuum the top and you will get some sand in your bucket(or whatever you use) but not enough to worry about. I found my gravel kept everything and was nasty most of the time(esp. with the pirahnas) so changed to sand and its been great.

P.S I use the home depot play sand or I did see some very fine sand at wal-mart for landscaping for 2.67 a bag.

The thing to be aware of is that there are different sizes of sand and to stay away from the very small very easily moved types. They will give you nothing but grief - sucked up in your filter intakes and grind your impellers down in no time. Try medium and coarse and always wash thoroughly before placing in your tanks. Also try raising the intakes or putting filter sponges or netting over the ends of the intakes to help keep out the sand that will invariably get sucked in. As already mentioned it is easy to clean and the fish enjoy it immensely. The Malaysian trumpet snails or similar will do their part by coming out at night and eating virtually everything in sight so there is minimal cleanup when you do the weekly water changes.

Don't trumpet snails replicate like crazy??

They do, for me anyway. When they get out of control I just throw in a slice of cucumber or zuccini after lights out, when the slice is full remove from the tank, Sell, give away, feed to loaches (small ones), flush them, my africans and south americans like chewing on them also.