Which algae eater?

bozco

I used to have one or the other, and when they got big they got agressive, and started to attack my angels and latch on to their sides.

I was told at the time I had the wrong kind in the tank. Now I don't remember which one I had, and which one is considered ok, or if either was considered ok. I still have the angels, but I wouldn't mind a single small algae eating fish for my 20 gal.

CAE or SAE?

Or is there something better I could use?

Thanks

Definitely go with the SAE... waaaaaay less agressive! Be careful you are actually getting an SAE, some stores try to pass off one for the other. I wouldn't exactly call an SAE a SMALL fish though, they grow pretty quickly... another really good algae eater that DOES stay small is an oto. Or amano shrimps.

HTH! :)

p.s. Here's a link to some info that should help you figure out which is which

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/sae.jpg

Edited by chloeclose

I agree, out of those 2 you want a SAE. The CAE get mean as they get older. The SAE is a great algae eater but they get fairly large(6") and when older they beome lazy. Also SAE dont' have sucker mouths so they aren't good for eating the green slime type algaes(the kind that cover the glass) but nothign beats them for eating hair algaes.

depending in what type of algae you have i'd suggest either a BN pleco or a small group of otos for a 20g.

SAE is the only algea eater fish that consume hair algea. They do get pretty big in their natural habitant. In thailand, we eat them. They look good when you have two or more in the tank, because theytend to swim together.

as for Amano shrimp, they might get eaten by your angle fish.

CAE dont actually eat algea eh.