bbs or microworms, your thoughts??

fishclubgirl

So I'm getting ready to feed the new angelfish fry and curious on other's opinions. I've always fed my angelfish fry BBS but find it a hassle to hatch them(I live in a very small apartment and don't have space for a hatchery). I do have microworms which I use for my other fry and was thinking I'd try them instead. Anybody's thoughts???

How come it's all the "betta" (betta, better best!!) people getting back to me??? Isn't there any "angelfish" people out there???

The easiest and most nutritious way to feed fish BBS is to not hatch them, but to dissolve the shell off using a mild bleach solution. Google "decapsulationg Brine Shrim Eggs".

My mom detests the scent of hatching brine shrimp, so that is out for me. Never had angelfish, but for my fry (mostly livebearers) I used vinegar eels and microworms, upgrading to frozen and various dry foods I crushed with the pestle.

But now I have to go google on how to decapsulate Brine Shrimp Eggs... Though I am not sure bleach and fish food should be used in the same sentence...

Bleach is essentially Chorine, which is removed with Prime. Just rinse well, and Prime it up! I use bleach to clean out old tanks and equipment all the time.

I also, use decapsulated brine shrimp eggs.

although, baby betta fry don't like to eat anything if it isn't moving :( drives me batty.

Bleach is essentially Chorine, which is removed with Prime. Just rinse well, and Prime it up! I use bleach to clean out old tanks and equipment all the time.

Ended up with "borrowing" some BBS hatcheries from the bf. I'm a believer in live food for the little guys!! Now that everything's set up, it will only take a couple of minutes to refill the hatcheries. Thanks for all the advice!!

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm getting ready to feed the new angelfish fry and curious on other's opinions. I've always fed my angelfish fry BBS but find it a hassle to hatch them(I live in a very small apartment and don't have space for a hatchery). I do have microworms which I use for my other fry and was thinking I'd try them instead. Anybody's thoughts???

If you don't mind the smell of vinager, you might try vinager eels, if you can find a starter culture they don't take up any real space so they would be ideal for your small apartment.

I have Red jewels and their fry go from egg right to free swimming so i'm pretty sure they eat the smallest of the small.. So what i did is Mortar and Pestle (less than 4$at super store here) and the NLS 0.5mm small fish formula ground into a powder. I then dose the tank for the adult amount and every little guy seems to have survived and are growing like mad mad mad. Compared to my other batches of Jewel fry i'm expecting at least 75%-99% more to survive to adulthood.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

L