Heater Opinions...

colby82

I am currently in the process of buying equipment for a 170 gal tank. I was wondering if anyone has every had this heating system... JBJ True Temp System , to me it looks like a decent heater, any thoughts would be great.

The other option that i have is an inline heater, i was hoping to use an FX5 as a filter, does any one use an inline with this filter?

or if you have any other good ideas for a simple heater system that would be great, the less stuff in the tank the better.

thanks in adavnce.

colby

JBJ is the same company that makes nano-cubes. They should be a reasonable quality heater. 1000W is way overkill for a 170g tank though. You dont want to install a heater that is capable of cooking the tank. I'd look at 500W element maximum, or two 300W units individually.

The idea of getting any heater with a separated controller is great. These are much more accurate and reliable, and more fail-safe than the traditional heaters.

Also, you are in calgary... I bet you can find a decent controllable heater in town for much cheaper than ordering one off MarineDepot!

Hope this helps!

Good advice, and personally I would go with the two 300W heaters, vs a single higher wattage unit. Less chance of wiping out the tank if that single heater ever fails in the "on" position. Personally I use independent controllers when possible as a back-up, just to be on the safe side.

thanks, that helped alot.. i currently have 3 300w heaters.. so i think i might stick with them.. the only problem is, i will no longer have a sump to hide all this gear in. Does anyone know if you can put a heater INTO a FX5?

I think you can. If you take the FX5 out to dinner... a little wine... sweet talk... eh voila! :shifty:

Dinner, wine and sweet talk,even, I'd get into an FX5,especially if it has heated leather seats,lol. What, that isn't a car??

I can make the side of my F150 say FX5 if you want :rofl:

I don't think that you get a heater in to an FX5, I think the pressures might be too high. I have seen people do it before with smaller canisters you just drill a small hole in the top and use some good aquarium safe epoxy to seal around the cord, you have to cut the cord and get some heat shrink tube to put it back together.

Dinner, wine and sweet talk,even, I'd get into an FX5,especially if it has heated leather seats,lol. What, that isn't a car??

I can make the side of my F150 say FX5 if you want :rofl:

I don't think that you get a heater in to an FX5, I think the pressures might be too high. I have seen people do it before with smaller canisters you just drill a small hole in the top and use some good aquarium safe epoxy to seal around the cord, you have to cut the cord and get some heat shrink tube to put it back together.

Try the new Fluval E-serier heaters, I bought 2 for my 180 Gallon and they are a great and reliable heater from what I have seen.