occies

JLake

Does anybody have any tips on how to breed these golden occies? I have a group of 4 in a 55 gallon. I believe there is one male and 3 females a great ration. There is often breeding behaviour on the females part but all the male does is darken the lines at the edge of his fins. Any advice

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure they're not spawning? I didn't know my Brevis were spawning for sure until I saw a couple fry one day... it actually looked like bits of sand were darting around. That was probably 2 weeks after I noticed what I would call definite spawning behavior.

Thanks for your advice jvision. What are the chances my male is infertile? He is otherwise a stunning "occie". As soon as he leaves his 12 inch square territory and swims near the females they all race out to greet him, shimmering and shaking all around him, nipping at his belly, and trying to get him to come in there shells. Does this sound like the females are willing?

"Spawn-aid is a conception and growth stimulant for all live-bearing and egg laying fish. It creates the ultimate breeding enviroment. It is formulated with amino acids, contains micro-absorbable l-lysine for enhanced fertility and contains l-ornithine for superior growth and vitality, and also promotes colors and healthy appearance in offspring. Perfect for Egg-scatterers, Egg-buriers, Egg-depositors, mouth brooders, nestbuilders and livebearers."

"Instructions:

To promote spawning add 1 tsp per 20 gallons of water once a week for 4-6 weeks during egg fry development"

http://www.aquariumguys.com/spawnaid5oz.html

Simply put, it's like Love potion #9...hahahaha.

Spawning behaviour? So today as I was watching the occies the big male went over and obviously convinced his favorite female to come over to his side of the tank and check out his shell bed. This has never happened, no other occie has ever been allowed over on his side. And now she is in one of his shells and it almost seems like the male is leaning his "boy parts" into the opening of the shell for a few seconds. What do you guys think?

Yeah he is still being real nice to her. In fact when I fed them this morning, she refused to leave the opening of her new shell. So after the male ate he brought her over a pellet of NLS and spit it at her. She readily accepted. Than he broke up a pellet around her and she gladly accepted that as well.

What do I have to feed the newly hatched fry in 3 more days? Or do I at all till egg sacs leave? So many questions. Jvision I notice u produce your own live food, is that for mostly fry or all your fish?

You won't actually have to do anything more than what you are now...when you know there are free swimming fry you can certainly feed them some live food...I personally use Microworms cause they are easiest for me...smelly, but easy! they also really like BBS. ;)