occies

JLake

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have only used dividers with Flowerhorns, not with smaller fish. But the divider did work well! If the Dad will bury Mom, then i'd definately do divider if I had to, but maybe try the white clouds or a small danio or something. Just something to take the male's abuse. :smokey:

So I came back with 4 serpae tetras or blood tetras. Cool lil fish very fast and they are fiesty too. They already took the males eyes of mom and she can catch her breath. Fry are growing strong I think there's only 4 left but they look strong. Let's hope the tetras do the job! I wanted danios but they were not for sale. Just jumbos for 6 dollars each. Too much for dither. Girl at store thought white clouds would be killed.

Great news when i woke up this morning mom was actually sleeping in a shell! Im sure she badly needed that, the tetras have taken about 75% of the males intrest off her. He is also trying to convince another female to mate but she is only halfway there. Perhaps she has seen what happens and is a little scared of Brutus.

Wow I witnessed them spawn again! Maybe they like a audience. I caught the last attempt at fertilization by the male on video(blackberry). Wow how there relationship has changed mom and dad are back together again. Take 2 at raising a family for the couple. Let's see if mom can do the trick. This time the eggs were laid outside the males usual area.

Also big thanks to the serpae tetras doing there job in 12 hrs and calming the shellies down. I may reward them with some more of their kind. Will these tetra cause trouble for the fry?

Serpaes are excellent fry preds. They'll take turns dive-bombing the fry cloud if they are allowed close enough.

im guessing catching these serpae tetras will not be easy, darn those danios in isolation at big als i went to buy instead. maybe these guys gotta go on buy sell, lets see if the bobby and whitney in the black ocellatus tank can catch em

I'm guessing the second batch has hatched or become wrigglers in the golds tank but I haven't seen anything. Mom has been hard at work digging pits around her shell to contain the babies when they are a lil older. She has also spent a great deal of effort pushing her shell towards the male side of the tank. She has gotten about 6 inches which is surprising. I think she is second guessing the whole " I'm gonna raise the babies on the other side of the tank" attitude. Only time will tell. She seems smart enough to know that being by the male is prolly the best idea for her and the fry.

Baby crazy at my house my gf is 8 months preggers I saw transriptus fry yesterday, just seen my gold ocellatus 2nd batch of fry. I think there's more I counted 6 or 7 but I'm guessing there r a few more. Than a few seconds later bc my blacks are in a tank right next to the golds, I witnessed them spawn in the same manner the golds did! Crazy times over here

• 2 weeks later...

Well Justin let go of the Ocellatus to me since he's making room for bigger and better things obviously and guess what. They've bred again :/. I noticed a bunch of eggs through one of my shells. I love the shells I use since they're gold apple snail shells I believe, but I can see the eggs through it. I count about 20-30.