occies

JLake

Microworms and Vinegar eels are for fry. I usually make a slurry of crushed NLS Grow and small live foods, and use a pipet to squirt it right to the fry for the first week or so. After the fry get more adventurous, I just pour the slurry into the tank over the fry.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I just wait till they are free swimming and feed them cushed NLS? Just like my multies? Will feeding them microworms increase the survival rate? Are microworms easy to culture? Thanks for your advice!

I'm not sure if microworms will increase the survival rate, but they're easy to culture and multiply fast. I always have starters available.

Usually I feed my fry just crushed flakes and crushed nls. But I'm a big believer in food diversity, and these microworm sound like a good way for some "fresh" live foods to be introduced. I will take a starter for sure. I don't have a lot to trade plant wise. I have a lonely melegris shell dweller who is a fine specimen I'm gonna say she is a female. Let me know what you think.

My microworm cultures don't require a trade. I have 2 right now, and will be renewing my other cultures later this week - I have 4 or 5 empty containers that will become starters for anyone who's interested.

Cool! My female occie hasn't left that she'll, in fact for the last 24 hours she has been out only a few times. Always fanning the shell. Dad stays close watching the shell as well. I think they hatch in 4 days am I correst? So tom afternoon they should hatch. Should I get microworms for than? Thanks for any help.

She's still on her vigil. I think she will be a good mom. She will no longer eat bc everytime she tries for food the male chases her back to shell. The male also seems more interested in the contents of the shell the last two days. She refuses to let him near the opening, maybe that's why she won't eat? Will she get so hungry that she may eat her babies? I know my multies r great parents but I'm a lil worried about these two.

Mom has booted the babies out of her shell and they now live with dad. Seems as if dad is the main "teacher" out of the two parents. Now it seems like they spawned again. She is fanning the opening of the shell and will not let dad or fry in. I know there are no fry in her shell bc I counted them all in or around dads shell. Is this possible they just spawned on the 21st of jan?

Its weird my transriptus bred in the 90 gallon while it was full with adult 6 inch plus peacocks. But now that they are the biggest fish in the tank or toughest in the tank they stopped breeding. Okay I'm gonna put some pics up of the blacks since they are settled in now.