Tank / Silicon Repair

I have a 75G that I want break down and restart... I thought I would repair the silicon at the same time... There is a little bit of algae creep that is starting to occur.

Can I cut the silicon along the edges and remove the exposed silcon where the creeping is occuring and leave the connective silicon... I cant imagine taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together...

You can do that. It is the silicon between the panes that hold the tank together, but really it should be fine. If your just replace the bead inside the tank, you're basically making it look nice again. However, I guess you would be replacing the silicon that protects the bond that holds the tank together.

Edited by jvision

I have a 75G that I want break down and restart... I thought I would repair the silicon at the same time... There is a little bit of algae creep that is starting to occur.

Can I cut the silicon along the edges and remove the exposed silcon where the creeping is occuring and leave the connective silicon... I cant imagine taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together...

CorrosionJerry- I sugggest you cut it all out as new silicone will not always adhere to old silicone and it will look better if you have a straight edge too.

I found a three pack of 35 year silicone for $9.99 at Home Hardware, confirmed safe for aquariums on the tube itself- thanks for the tip jvision. Jason at the contractors counter verified that the silicone was good for tanks- he has his own aquariums and has used this silicone over and over.

After watching a video on youtube on silicone use in an aquarium, I finished cutting out the old moldy exposed silicone back to the flat edge of the tank joints. I used a plain replaceable-razor blade scraper for the open edges, careful to not cut into the joints themselves as they are still in perfect condition (look at the joints from the outside of the tank to confirm the joint is still tight and without fault.) I also used a construction razor cutting tool to reach into the corners cleanly. We made up some water and vinegar in a spray bottle to clean the glass over and over as you clean the joints. If you have a shop vac use it to clean the tiny bits out of the tank- get the tank as clean as you can. Finally I used some varsol to wipe the cleaned joints and get rid of any oils, etc. from my hands that might contaminate the joint. Next I took the video's advice and took the time to use painting edge tape to tape the outside edge of each joint both sides in order to get a clean straight edge after smoothing the silicone.

I cut a tube of the silicone and administered the bead in each joint, careful to make good contact with the joint itself. I did not want a huge bead- the 1/4" tube opening suggested was sufficient. Try to use the nozzle to fill the joint cleanly. Next I wet a paper towel, moistened my finger, and smoothed the silicone down into the joint with one motion on each joint. It turned out a smaller amount of silicone than the original fat bead. Finally I double checked all the joints and when satisfied they looked good I carefully pulled the tape off. (Do not leave the tape on for more than five or ten minutes or you will pull the silicone off with the tape.) This left a nice straight edge to each joint. Now it is curing and we will find out if it will hold water in a few days. It looks not bad for a first effort. It took about 3 hours for our 50g. tank.

The tank will probably need extensive rinsing to clear the cleaning liquids but that is ok. Let us know what you decide to do ok?

Edited by My3KidsDad

You got all the correct info, but I would use rubbing alcohol to clean the joints before re-siliconing as it will evaporate and less rinsing later. I believe Nick has a post pinned for redoing the silicone on tanks.

That is good to know thanks darkangel. next time. (or maybe this time if it leaks lol.)

You got all the correct info, but I would use rubbing alcohol to clean the joints before re-siliconing as it will evaporate and less rinsing later. I believe Nick has a post pinned for redoing the silicone on tanks.

I would recomend that you prep the surface that will get new silicone with vinegar. I found that it creates better adhesion and is a more tank safe product for priming the surfaces.

EDIT: Use pickling vinegar as it is twice as strong as white vinegar.

Edited by Ichthyosporidium

Pickling vinegar it is.

thanks.

Check out my journal too it has the link to the thread about siliconeing and i'm sure i added to it a list of things NOT to do when siliconeing a tank. For the larger tanks i'd suggest keeping a section of removed silicone from the one of the sides and bottom to use as a reference for the size of the new silicone and start with a small bead of silicone in all the joints smotheing it down with the handy reusable amazing red and black silicone tool that i know you can get at home depot if not other places as well. Be sure to get even the residual silicone on the surface of the glass that the razors don't easily remove the first time. It's hard to see without a reflection of light off it.

I think that's it. Good luck

L