Fluval 404/405 leaking-What's your take on this?

chronic

So I have a fluval 404 and 405 for my 120g. The 404 is about a year and a half old, Its done wonderful. Then once I got the new 120g tank, I bought a 405 since I got a killer deal on it and wanted some more turn over.

I've always read they're prone to leaking. But I never had an issue, until last weekend.

Long story short, while setting up the 120g the 404 started to leak past the clasps. So I got a new main o-ring, that didn't help, so I tried a new quick release unit for the hoses. Seems to have worked.

My assumption as to why it leaked was the seals on the quick release dried up or what ever. Leaked water into the head through this little slot I noticed in one of the hose inlets, then drains past the clasps since there are holes for them there.

Its been running for a week now with no problems, however I dont trust it and dont want to so much as touch it let alone shut it off lol

I've read sooo many threads on leaking fluvals, but it never seems like people take the time to fix it. Do you guys know of some serious flaw to these things? They seem to do a very good job when they're working, and the design seems simple enough to figure out.

I Guess I'm wondering is it, are they that inferior to other canister filters that its not worth fixing when you can get a good eheim and never worry?

Thanks, just looking for some insight.

You can always repair a fluval or any cannister filter for that matter unless u drop it off a building. Leaks on my fluvals happened when I had 403 and 404s after I did filter maintenance. They were annoying but fixable. My 405 never has that problem the connections are a lil better this time around(still not as good as eheim imo). My rena has had leaking problems and I sold it. Find someone who knows fluvals well or better yet become that someone and fix it yourself. The parts are often found at most lfs. Good luck I am sure there are more ppl with better answers about fluvals than me!

If you notice there is a bit of resistance or sticking of the top motor housing when pushing down or clamping down onto the canister go get a $2 tube of the silicon lubricant they sell for the fluvals. There should be enough in the little tube to lubricate 2 of the big O rings. I bought a couple of used 404/405 filters and the 404 worked until the first cleaning and it proceeded to leak from the clasp areas like you said from those little holes. I couldnt for the life of me figure out why it was leaking and why it seemed to stick a bit when trying to clasp it down but as soon as I took the O ring out and applied the silicon generously and reseated it, the leaking stopped and it was really easy to clasp the top down onto the canister bottom. I figure it allows it to slide down easily but also provide suction to the sides which doesnt allow the water to pass. Might also be a good idea as preventative maintenance to apply it to the O rings around the aqua stop lever quick release as well to prevent them from drying out.

I think vegetable oil is also an alternative to the silicon lubricant but you might want to verify that one before trying it.

yeah always after maintenance they seem to leak. I like cannister filters but i love aquaclears stuffed with pot scrubbies or biomax as media. And aquaclear thats a filter i know alot about hahah one moving part, thats something i can fix haha.Thanks to jvision for the pot scruccies idea!

I have used nothing but Fluvals on my aquariums since 1995 and have had no problems. With ANY canister filter it is important to lubricate the o-rings with a silicone based lubricant a few times per year. This will keep the o-rings in good condition and prevent them from twisting or kinking which usually causes leaking issues.

Fluval (Hagen) stands behind their products. I needed a replacement Aquastop because I broke it and their customer service representative sent one to me N/C under warranty.

• 1 month later...

Just had my birthday and told everyone to pitch in for an eheim pro 2 2028, its beautiful! I love it.

Might retire the fluvals, I dont want to worry about my power going out and coming home to 40g of water on the floor lol Since the one, if you unplug it, it leaks....

Oh well, it was a step into the world of canister filtration.

Just had my birthday and told everyone to pitch in for an eheim pro 2 2028, its beautiful! I love it.

Might retire the fluvals, I dont want to worry about my power going out and coming home to 40g of water on the floor lol Since the one, if you unplug it, it leaks....

Oh well, it was a step into the world of canister filtration.

let me know if you are ever planning to sell your Fluvals & coming down to Calgary?

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post but after changing all the o-rings, clasps and aqua stop valve with no luck stopping my leak.I banged my head for several hours trying to sort it out even took motor housing apart looking for cracks with no luck, I sat back with a cold Kokanee and pondered my next move I noticed canister that holds the media trays looked warped at the top so I put on about three wraps of plumbers teflon tape in the grove that holds the main o-ring slid o-ring over top reassembled canister and no leak running dry for about a hour fingers crossed and time for another cold one. :beer: