Anyone home from the Auction yet?

rjsomers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the auction yesterday. First time, and was surpised by the amount of people and items being auctioned. Had no idea you guys were having this much fun. Bought a nice Eureka red (from fairdeal's stock ) and met some nice people ......will surely see you again.....

And a big thanks to ACE for putting on the auction. For those of you thinking of volunteering,"running" is an excellent way to see all the merchandise. I've done it for years in Calgary and made some great buys. Sorry that I don't volunteer at the edmonton auction as it's my chance to relax. Probably missed out on something good too!!!!

And i'm thinking about being a runner at the next one but i'm still a little scared i'll miss something.

Being a runner is super easy. All you have to do is write down the price, bring it to the person and bring them change. I like doing it since you can see all the items and what is coming up next. That way I dont' have to pay as close attention the whole time. Plus I would have missed the pair of Kribs I bought as I didn't see them on the tables during viewing but saw them at the auctioneers table. Its also just fun and you get to meet lots of nice people.

WOW!!!!

thats pretty much all i can say. i met some pretty incredible people there. i was able to see some amazing specimens of any number of different breeds. i wasnt able to stick around for the whole auction but i am REALLY curious as to how much the L199 pleco went for? i wanted so badly to bid on him but my son was getting sick and the wife needed me so ...priorities.

I would really like to thank ACE, raymond fong and fairdeal for all the contributions that they have made toward helping me with my tanks. You guys all really deserve some kudos.

this was my first auction and i am really hoping to go to some more. it boggles my mind as to how many hardcore enthusiasts that there are around, and how readily they are willing to share information about the care and upkeep of the animals available.

i met eveyone from breeders to a grandfather that was there to help out his grand kids with a tank and some fish.You guys really outdid yourselves this time.

Bravo, keep up all the good work

BryanCatfish

i wasnt able to stick around for the whole auction but i am REALLY curious as to how much the L199 pleco went for? i wanted so badly to bid on him but my son was getting sick and the wife needed me so ...priorities.

You can bump items for 2$. Just tell someone at the front table or a runner, and your item will be the next up for auction. So if you have to leave early you can still bid on all the things you want.

Tiring trying to help my kids be runners. Blah. With the 2 of them i kept missing the things i came for, though Val was super nice in selling me her 4 Juvi kribs. And the one bag on plecos went for more then i would of liked to buy them for so after wards i bought one at the petstore. nd apparently its special :D LOL

This was my first auction and it was fun. Meet some great people like LadyBlue for the first time. Went home with some awesome plants.. the 50g. tank is beginning to look sort of polished as a result. A good experience. Well run too.

I would like to give thanks to the wonderful Auctioneers who kept everything moving smoothly, who were informative, and very entertaining! Without them, the auction wouldn't be the same.

Cheers!

On behalf of the 3 of us, thank you for the compliments! As usual, the quality of the items for sale is probably the most important factor when auctioneering. Yes, as stated in a previous reply, it was a seller's auction, in that the prices maintained themselves right until the end. IMHO this was due to the overall quality of the items as a group. IMHO this is positive reinforcement for the seller and the buyer, in that it ensures that the sellers will feel good about what they are receiving for their quality items, and will not compromise their quality in future auctions. It is something that ACE has strived for since it started auctions and is a reputation earned over many years. I talked to the buyer of an L 134 pleco who paid handsomely for the fish, and was pleased to do so. He was even more pleased to find out, through our conversation, that it was an F1 raised in the ACE club and that it wouldn't need any prophlactic treatments as can some of the wild-caught imported specimens, and was used to the local water conditions. That said, there are always a few items that can be seen as mis-labeled or sub-par. I came across one bag labeled as Long-fin albino bristlenose that were definitely not showing any extended fin length development neither pectoral, caudal or dorsal. Sure they may have come from a Long-fin brood, but not all young produced from Long-fin pairs result in Long-fins as this is a recessive gene. Even at that size the length of the fins in Long-fins is quite evident. Another bag was labeled as Lyretail swords and only one of the 3 swords actually showed some lyretail traits. So the buyer thinks he's getting 3 lyretails when he actually isn't. As a seller you're far better off labeling to the lowest denominator and having the purchaser pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed. It's these kinds of things that we are constantly trying to monitor to ensure that the quality in the ACE auctions is high. If you have any suggestions as to how we can improve the auction experience please forward them to ACE, as we are always looking to better our auctions.

We have tried 3 auctions in a club year (Sept.-June) in years past with mixed results. As you have already seen in previous replies, it is a full day's work for the volounteers, and you are spent by the end of the day. Volounteer time is a valuable resource that we don't want to take advantage of, lest their interest wane. Basically the auctions are for members to sell extra animals and plants, as well as extra dry goods,and it has been our experience that 3 auctions can get a bit watered down as hobbyists can only produce so much extra during any given time period. I certainly agree that the strong social aspect of the day is great but not at the sacrifice of the club members. Does that make sense?

It does for sure. True about people only having so much to get rid of. But say if unwanted fish from both aa and ace members were pooled together between the months it may be good. Does ace actually breed or grow out any fish for auctions only? Again I am sure volunteers may be the difference. Knowing this I will help out next time. If a few ppl grow out fish or breed them specifically for the auction there may be enough diversity to keep people interested. I for one would keep a tank in my house just for growing or breeding fish for the ace auctions. Thanks for the response, the reason i said this in the first place is because i was unable to attend the last one and if you miss one its a whole year between auctions.