Purebred guppy

Wackinator

Guppy Strains  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey I really dont know which section to post this under because my question is about the value and costs of purebred guppies.

I really want to keep and maintain a purebred strain but they are pretty expensive so my question was this: I want to be able to break even to cover the costs in a few months by selling their offspring, is it possible?

I know that fish keeping isnt about making a profit, and we have all heard of stories of people trying and failing miserably but is there any demand for purebred guppies, will petstores take them for the same as a normal guppy or would I have any luck with people on this forum?

The fish I want are these ones and lets say I get 2 pairs for around $100, them breeding and raising the babies to a selling size and then selling them for 5 or 10 bucks, would I end up making up the 100 bucks I spent?

Thanks in advance guys

Edited by blackbelt609

I think that some would be interested BUT for me if i had a guppy tank i can completely understand buying 2 or maybe 3 guppies and have them breed to fill a tank and Colour is waaayyyy more important than anything else. I tried before but the guppies that were produced were odd coloured with shorter finns so pure bred guppies might actually get me interested in them again.

Thanks and maybe that answers your question.

L

eBay is also another option. As for getting top dollar for quality fish, your best bet is to list them where serious hobbyists look. Your average fishkeeper, who's happy with the selection available at PJ's or PetSmart won't likely pay premium dollar for good fish. If you're planning on producing wholesale amounts, I know of a couple stores in Cgy that will buy stock from local breeders. There are also a couple stores here in Edm.

Guppies normally sell for around $4-5 each...really nice guppies will go for lots more. If there were guppies that I liked, i'd definately consider buying them for a fair price, though at the moment, i'm having difficulties paying $20 for a new bloodline of a fish I currently own! LOL

Some people are serious about their livebearers so you'll probably have at least some serious buyers. ;)

I think that some would be interested BUT for me if i had a guppy tank i can completely understand buying 2 or maybe 3 guppies and have them breed to fill a tank and Colour is waaayyyy more important than anything else. I tried before but the guppies that were produced were odd coloured with shorter finns so pure bred guppies might actually get me interested in them again.

Thanks and maybe that answers your question.

L

Yeah I agree that colour is really important and I agree that the offsprings of even a pure strain can be disappointing if you have your heart set on a specific one but I think it might be worth a try lol. Hopefully more will be interested but I think I do plan on going through with it =]

Thanks

eBay is also another option. As for getting top dollar for quality fish, your best bet is to list them where serious hobbyists look. Your average fishkeeper, who's happy with the selection available at PJ's or PetSmart won't likely pay premium dollar for good fish. If you're planning on producing wholesale amounts, I know of a couple stores in Cgy that will buy stock from local breeders. There are also a couple stores here in Edm.

Thanks Jvision, and I will try ebay but I am not really expecting anything out of there, I was hoping for local like Calgary and Edmonton, Guppies are an easy enough fish to make room for but the fact that they reproduce so fast pushes some people away from it.

I don't know if I can produce wholesale amounts, because I am only starting out with a trio, I can only get 20-60 fries per month, who knows how many after all the culling. But I am interested in the stores that you mention will buy from local breeders, for both calgary and edmonton if you dont mind sharing lol.

Thanks

Guppies normally sell for around $4-5 each...really nice guppies will go for lots more. If there were guppies that I liked, i'd definately consider buying them for a fair price, though at the moment, i'm having difficulties paying $20 for a new bloodline of a fish I currently own! LOL

Some people are serious about their livebearers so you'll probably have at least some serious buyers. ;)

LOL yeah $20 for a bloodline you already own isnt the best thing to get but guppies can go for a lot sometimes, I did see a lot of people who were interested in guppies at the calgary auction, they were only assorted and they went for a fair price I thought so maybe there will be demand for them at the auction?

but thanks Wingin' It

i like the 2nd.....and i'd be happy to take a couple off of your hands down the road.........of either type!!!

Thanks Robin, and in all honesty I do like the second one a little bit more, Im having an internal fight over this which is why I posted it here lol, hoping for some help :pff: