I don't like the Vendor Review Survey

Just think if there is an issue, or some store has come down with a parasite problem. I would like to know about it. I would like to know how to treat fish from that store in case I bought some. And I'd like to be aware that the fish in my tank may be at risk. Just don't like that I'm not allowed to post honest opinions about the stores in the area. I recently was in a store handing out bad advice. Now most members in here know what bad advice is. But it would be nice to know that the fish in question is not going to eat your fish poop and you need to feed them properly.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I caught a nasty parasite from a local pet store that was quite resialiant to treatment. It almost drove me out of the hobby. \i wouldnt want anyone to get this parasite let alone pay cash for it like I did.

My rule of thumb is don't buy fish kept on a central filtration system. If you do, for sure follow fishgirl's advice - even if the fish seem healthy.

quaratine and meds wouldnt of solved this problem. It took many meds to find one that worked and it only worked at a higher concentration. There were no outward symptons except flashing. It was a truly annoying gill\mouth parasite that took months to solve. Many smart and experienced fish keepers were baffled by this parasites ability to withstand meds.

I just wouldnt buy a single fish off that dump because I assume that every fish there has this parasite. Who would?

Edited by JLake

I think that it's safe to say that all fish can & do carry a certain level of pathogens within their systems at all times. Stating that "I can toss the fish in my tank and not have to worry about anything" is simply being naive. While a fish may swim around in a tank for weeks showing no outward signs of health issues, place that same fish through the stress of being bagged, transported, and placed into a new environment, where stress levels could again be much higher than the tank they were removed from, and all bets are off.

You might get lucky, or you might not.

This is precisely why a separate quarantine tank, with a proper quarantine period is always a good idea. I spent a number of years moderating on cichlid-forum.com in the health & nutrition folder, and in the vast majority of cases involving health issues, the direct cause of the problem was not properly qt'ing new fish.

It's also quite possible that a fish can be a carrier of a certain pathogen, and having built up an immunity towards that pathogen swims around unaffected, while all other fish in the same tank that have no natural immunity to that particular pathogen become ill. As Jason suggested, buying fish from central filtration systems carries an extra risk factor. If you are willing to take those risks, then you should also be willing to face the consequences if/when something goes wrong.

The problem with allowing members to post their personal thoughts on a store (any store) is that many members that are new to the hobby (as well as some that have been around the hobby for years) tend to jump to conclusions when their fish become ill. There are simply far too many factors involved in health issues in fish to be able to say with 100% certainty what has caused what, and/or who's at fault for a tank full of sick or dead fish. The end result is the admin of this site are then placed in an impossible situation, one that could also potentially have legal ramifications. Freedom of speech only goes so far, even on the internet.

The vendor review may not be perfect, but it's a LOT better than what was in place before its inception.

many other forums do not shut down peoples opinions of local shops and point them to a vendor survey that doesn't encompass all fish stores or opinions. They have never faced legal consequences. I most recently posted a vendor review on another alberta forum with the hopes that someone who might care for the petstore would see it and educate their workers. I do know your point about new people jumping to conclusions though. I would hope that no one new goto the petstore I reviewed until their employees have become properly educated.

If other forums choose to not shut threads that is up to them. How many sponsors that are actual store fronts do they have?

Now just so we have some clarity here... I'm pretty sure that not many people are aware of this FACT...

IT IS ILLEGAL IN ALBERTA (and Canada for that matter)FOR ANY PET STORE EMPLOYEE TO DIAGNOSE A FISH DISEASE & DISPENSE MEDS UNLESS THEY ARE A LICENSED VET. THERE ARE MANY LAWSUITS IN THE U.S.

ALSO... FYI...

Robert Novak, claimed owner of Petswarehouse.com filed a 15 million dollar lawsuit many years ago against several aquarium hobbyists who have posted critical comments about his business. He also sued the news groups moderators AND the founder of the group.

Do you want this type of thing to happen to you? or AA? You can't quarantine your fish? When retailers are purchasing livestock we are at the mercy of our suppliers. Do they send the retailer the diseased fish?

Here at Nature's Corner we take great care in "trying" to ensure our fish are healthy and eating and as disease free as we possibly can before selling. If you buy ANY livestock (dog, cat, horse, bird, hedgehog, reptile, etc.) you ARE ALWAYS buying at your own risk. If the stores can't hand out proper info, go to another store or open your own.

If the members or ANY group or association or club do not like the "rules", "bylaws", etc. then YOU have the choice NOT to join that particular forum, club, organization, etc.

Henry.

They have never faced legal consequences.

You seem rather certain about that. Ask Clarence the owner/admin on BCA(the sister site that you just posted on)

about what happened with Big Al's a few years back.

I post critical comments about everything and have never had an issue. I do have an issue with stores who do not welcome critical comments. Scientifically I find critical comments necessary to move forward. I posted a review about the cleanliness of a restaurant who had dirty dishes on every table. Washed me one fork, I didn't even get a knife. And the place was sticky. Never had any issues with legal problems. Oh and fyi, many stores do diagnose your fish and dispense meds. Might I remind you of my recent order from tfdfish.com which I didn't make due to a large number of people claiming a high death rate with certain species from them. It was done in pm, but wouldn't it be nice if everyone was aware?

As I said, ask Clarence what happened. It's easy for people to beak off anonymously on a website about store xyz, but the bottom line is it's often the people that run/own the website that are ultimately held responsible if/when lawyers get involved.

Whether you like it or not, this is not a public site, owned by the members, where the majority rules.

We all play by the same rules, or we can choose to play elsewhere.

Say whaaaaa? The sponsors here didn't create a single rule on this site.

This site was created by Jay, and is ran by the current admin.

They call the shots, and the sponsors follow the same rules as every other member here.

Sorry, there are no free rides, not even for us who financially support this site so that it can remain

up & running for people like yourself.