Catfish keep going missing or found dead?

Jester

So I use to have 3 panda cories, 3 julie cories and 3 peppered cories.... all of my pandas have disappeared and 1 julie was found dead floating at the top of the tank. I dont know what is going on... all the other fish in my tank are said to be community fish.

I have 1 black molly, 1dalmation molly, 1 giant danio, 2 fancy guppies, 1 apple snail, an african dwarf frog and therest of the cories.

Anybody have any ideas whats going on? my cories are my favorites and i'd hate to lose anymore.

Often, when it's just cories that are dying, it has to do with flow. Make sure you have enough flow getting all the way to the bottom of the tank - if there isn't enough water getting from the oxygen rich surface to the O2 starved bottom, the cats tend to suffer.

Often, when it's just cories that are dying, it has to do with flow. Make sure you have enough flow getting all the way to the bottom of the tank - if there isn't enough water getting from the oxygen rich surface to the O2 starved bottom, the cats tend to suffer.

I have a 12 inch bubble bar across the bottom of the tank the makes a large bubble wall so I diont think thats my issue... add to that the fish are usually missing....

does your lid cover most of the top of the tank? cories do shoot up to the surface to get air from time to time and if the tank is lidless or has large gaps they may be shooting right out of the tank. check behind, under, around the tank stand. if you have cats or dogs you might not find any fish (they would have probably become snacks :( )

Besides carpet surfing, the cories may have found a hidden spot to pass so you might want to check under in or around any decorations you have in the tank. I have had a panda cory burrow into a gap on my driftwood along side the rhizome of my anubias... didnt notice until I saw the eye peeking out of a hole in the wood which at the time I thought was kinda humorous. I managed to coax him out and a few days after I found his body there again but wedged even further down. Some of the others seemed to seek secluded spots in the tank to pass on so maybe it is something they do when they sense they are about to go. His death was the start of some sort of bacterial infection that only affected and claimed 2 other of my panda cories.

Also if you have any amount of snails in the tank they along with the other fish in the tank can swarm a dead body and eat it pretty quickly which could explain the missing bodies.

Carpet surfing LOL XD

My tank lid is on with out any gaps large enough for even a guppy to fit threw and I also havent found a corpse around the tank anywhere so I dont think thats it.

I've only owned my pandas for 3-4 weeks so I dont understan why they would die so soon without a cause. and most of them died beofe i even got the snail (( apple snail was bought 3 days ago)) So i'm confussed if maybe something in the tanks agressive... I kind of think its my giant Danio, he has become a little more territorial in the last 2 weeks for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

A few livebearers I see! Do you add salt for them? If so, salt kills cories. If you do not add salt, then they are dieing from their poor ability to osmoregulate within your tank.

Salt does not kill Corys. I have successfully spawned over 25 different species of Corys over the years and have always added salt to all tanks during water changes. Do you feed your catfish specifically? That is, do you feed them when the lights are out so they don't have to compete with the sighted fish for food?

A few livebearers I see! Do you add salt for them? If so, salt kills cories. If you do not add salt, then they are dieing from their poor ability to osmoregulate within your tank.

Salt does not kill Corys.

It's a well know fact that salt does kill cories as it negatively effects their osmoregulation. Combine that with the already hard water of Alberta and if salt was added to suit the needs of the livebearers, then it would easily kill the cories in a few short weeks by way of blood and kidney poisoniong. And target feeding cories in a livebearer tank is not very hard to do considering cories and livebearer eat from completely opposite zones of the tank.

It's a well know fact that salt does kill cories as it negatively effects their osmoregulation. Combine that with the already hard water of Alberta and if salt was added to suit the needs of the livebearers, then it would easily kill the cories in a few short weeks by way of blood and kidney poisoniong. And target feeding cories in a livebearer tank is not very hard to do considering cories and livebearer eat from completely opposite zones of the tank.

Somebody better tell all those species of Corys that have bred for me, including the C. weitzmani, C. hastatus and Scleromystax barbatus that I'm raising now. As well I've never seen any livebearers I've had eat from the bottom. ;)

Edited by syno321

Somebody better tell all those species of Corys that have bred for me, including the C. weitzmani, C. hastatus and Scleromystax barbatus that I'm raising now. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I will let my corys know that the salt I have been using is gonna kill them. After using salt on my corys for 30 plus years you think they would know better than to continue fornicating in the saline solution that they are marinating in also.

I suppose I should expect the corys to start to die now that I have been given the FACTS.

Thanks for the expert advice and the FACTS.

Henry

-------

Edited by Natures Corner Store