Fluval 403 troubleshooting

FishieRuffio

Hi all,

I think I have a problem - I picked up a Fluval 403 at the auction, and I spent some money getting new tubes, and a new intake and outlet. HOWEVER, even though I'm pretty sure everything is set-up right, the filter doesn't seem to want to suck up water - the motor just spins and spins without sucking up anything? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

You have to prime those things. As I recall, there weren't any shut-off valves on either one. Best bet, P.M. Dunl. He took on ours for a project, and can probably walk you though it.

(Nice way to pass the buck, eh Darcy? LOL) :thumbs:

I can't recall the EXACT procedure, other than ours was a pain in the A@S!

Hope you get that thing going o.k.

Rob

Just figured this out yesterday myself. Disconnect the output hose from the spray bar. Open both the input and output valves, and suck air from the output valve while the intake is in your tank. Water will come over the top, and trickle into the cannister. If you hold the output hose up above the water level, the water will stop before spilling out the end of the hose.

Now reconnect the output hose to the spray bar, and turn on the filter. Should start very easily.

If you don't have a manula for it, go to Google and type in Fluval 403 manual. You will get a website from Hagen that has everything you need to know on it. :)

Do you think it is worth getting a 404 for $150??? :well:

Nope. Go a few more and buy a Filstar...or do what fishieruffio did and snag a 403 (better than the 404 as far as I am concerned) at an auction for....what was it....$40?

If the fluval quick connects break definately replace with the ehiem part too I've broken two fluvals on my 403 and no ehiems, I use a hose from my hagen gravel vac to prime mine stick it in the out tube and start a syphon going then turn it on