New fish-head.

Oneiroid

Hello. My name is Sarah, and I have a problem.

I am very happy to have found an Alberta ‘support group’ for aquarists, such as myself, who have slipped down the slippery slope. I’d like to claim that I have the addiction under control, but who am I kidding? I always have room for just one more plant… just a couple more fish… another tank that is just too good a deal to pass up… sigh.

I count myself lucky that I do not have the cash to sink into a salt-water setup! Yet…

With that, greetings! It really is nice to see such a pleasant and active forum for our community of fish-heads. I live in Edmonton with my fiancé, two cats, and of course the aquariums full of… stuff.

My little fish hobby actually started out as a silly project: while cleaning out some old tech in the basement, I came across a Macintosh Classic – I was simply going to toss it when my fiancé suggested that I turn it into a MacQuarium. At that point I really had no experience with fish keeping as a whole (unless you count keeping minnows caught out of Fish Creek Park in ice cream pales when I was 8) and I believe the phrase “fish are dumb” may have come out of my mouth, but I thought it was a good excuse to bring out the power tools and build something cool; maybe put a goldfish in it? Yeah right. The project worked out great, needless to say, but it turned into something much more than just ‘cool’ (and my fish are not so dumb!).

You can see a picture of it by clicking on the link below. This was taken during the shake-down phase so there are no fish in the tank and there is some more work to be done on it yet (but it is the only good photo I have of it right now… you get the idea). I am currently reworking the inside of this tank, but I will post new pictures when I am done.

http://www.unusualbehavior.com/other/fish/sm_100_0333.jpg

Anyway, that was the beginning. Then came the fish auctions. And you all know the rest.

Currently I have 3 x 2.5g, 1 x ~3.5g (the Mac), 1 x 5g, 1 x 10g, and 1 x 37g tank up and running. I have a couple larger tanks in reserve, but am waiting for us to move into the new house within the next month or two. I seem to have a green-thumb for aquatic plants (which is ironic since I could not keep a land plant alive to save MY life) and I am especially fond of my South American cichlids. I would probably keep large African cichlids, too, if it weren’t for the fact that I like to keep my tanks planted. I do, however, have a small group of Julido chromis Marlieri that are rather laid back:

http://www.unusualbehavior.com/other/fish/sm_100_0417.jpg

Best,

Sarah

PS. If anyone has a Mac Classic that they do not use anymore and would like to sell it or give it away, please let me know. I would very much like to customize more cases!

Welcome to AA

Have a beer lol

That is pretty cool. Maquarium. hahahahahaha

I to am interested in the make of it.

feel free to post it in the DIY section

It does seem to be the perfect size and the guts of the computer i think will handle the weight.

Cant wait to see your other posts on it

:ml:

Thanks everyone!

webmoose - I believe you may be thinking about my post in the Fish and Aquarium Photographs topic on my planted 10g you had responded to. Yes that we me too, but I had not yet properly introduced myself!

I am literally taking apart the MacQuarium for a thorough clean-up now, so I am hoping to have fresh pictures ready in not too long a time. I will take a bunch of pictures of what I did to the inside, the custom tank, and other angles too, and post a blurb in the DIY section as recommended.

Wow, old technology by the pound. I totally missed out! Actually, I still do have an old LISA... yes, one of the 50lb, $25,000.00 ticket price original Apple products from the dark ages. I cannot decide if I want to make a custom tank to fit inside of that one too, or retrofit laptop parts into it and create a 'vintage' Linux box. Ooohhhh.... I can hear the power tools whirring already!

x.

WOW!!!! i would have never though of a mod like you mac aquarium! I guess those old paper weights still have a purpose!

I have seen case mods built for custom computer cases, but to see what you have created, is cool!

you are blending the best of 2 worlds... computers and fish.

For giving a new meaning to screen saver, i must say bravo!!!! :drool:

:welcome:

hope you post more DIY stuff like that in future!!!

i like it!

nevchewy

Welcome and hello. The coffee is in the tank to the left, tea in the tank to the right. :D As for addictions, my first tank was a 10g, my second a 55. Within a year, 8 tanks running and yes, 1 marine. I am now at the stage where I must upgrade all of my tanks to make room for growing fish and loving it! I hope that you have as much fun. Welcome aboard and please do post DIY photos. I can think of no better use for a Mac.