6G Fluval Edge Sw Fowlr With 10G Sump (Pic Heavy)

Cgy_Betta_Guy

The crab won't leave in a FW dip. You can try a trap to get the crab out of the tank - basically lean a glass cup against the rock he lives in and put food in the bottom. Is the crab's hidy hole high enough to have the glass leaning right at the entrance and still be almost straight up? If so, it'll be easy - it'll crawl in to get the food at night. If you have to place the edge of the glass a little higher on the rock, then it might take a night or two... you may also find out some other critters in there! :)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The crab won't leave in a FW dip. You can try a trap to get the crab out of the tank - basically lean a glass cup against the rock he lives in and put food in the bottom. Is the crab's hidy hole high enough to have the glass leaning right at the entrance and still be almost straight up? If so, it'll be easy - it'll crawl in to get the food at night. If you have to place the edge of the glass a little higher on the rock, then it might take a night or two... you may also find out some other critters in there! :)

In a flual edge I'm not sure how that'd work...kind of a small space to work with?

Now that I can actually see the pics, I'd agree it looks like a crab. And I've seen some walk across a tank when the lights come on and take a piece out of a small fish before it is awake. Something to think about.

Also, concerning the freshwater dip...I've tried to move a mantis shrimp before. Taking the rock out and letting it sit will not work. Dipping it in freshwater will not work. Letting it sit in freshwater for 20 minutes will not work either - I've tried. 2 minutes back in the tank and he was happily peering out at me from his cave in the rock as if nothing had happened and immediately took food when offered.

A trap might be the only way....put the rock and the trap into another small tank if you can.

It appears that the crab may have moved holes last night unless there are more than the one... it physically picked up a small bit of LR stone (about a dime in diameter and 1cm high) that was lying on the tank bottom, took it up onto the big live rock chunk on the left and plugged it in over a new hidey hole. Since its the edge I can look down into the tank and I think I can see the same red eye on the crab that you have posted Wingin it. I cant get a pic because its in an awkward spot where the camera wont be able to get a good shot right under the rim. just poked it with my long plant pruning scissors and it appears its wedged into the rock really well... and I tried to pry him out a bit but he feels pretty solid and I really dont wanna stab him :boxed:

How big a crab are we talking about here? From what I can see of him he is maybe the size of a nickel? I have a small 2 ounce shot glass that I can use for the purpose of trying to trap it that is small enough to fit in the tank. What kind of food should I bait a trap with? I have FW NLS sinking pellets but not sure it would be tasty for him.

I was going to say, use a shot glass or a pill bottle - anything that has smooth sides and is taller than his legs stretched out (about 2x the width of the body).

Ok... so I got some more pics of the crab... Thanks for the trap suggestion

After setting my old yeast bottle as a trap baited with NLS and a couple of shrimp pellets he showed some movement but didnt come out of his hole and just looked up at me.

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Overnight I caught the little dood... would really like to know what kind of crab he is... now resides in the sump :smokey:

IMG_3067.jpg

WRAAAAWR! :boxer:

IMG_3074.jpg

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

some other life forms that I saw after lights out...

Bristle worm swimming about

IMG_0775.jpg

next day going into a hole

IMG_3100.jpg

and maybe a second one coming out of a different hole

IMG_3104.jpg

what you call these guys?

IMG_3109.jpg

a smaller crab and some wierd black pod thing next to the bottle

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

This a feather duster?

IMG_3112.jpg

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

I'm with Cate on the 2 IDs. Feather Dusters build a tube and will retract down the tube when disturbed. That pic looks like a young coral frag - Xenia being most likely.

Sorry to be a bad influence on The-Influence LOL.... I am definitely enjoying watching to see what kind of life came with the rocks... very interesting indeed. Still wanna know what the little black pod is cuz its neat and bizarre looking.

Thanks for the ID's Cate and Jason... very helpful. Still need to go out and get me a lime for the aptasia...

The xenia looks pretty good and super tiny but unfortunately its on the live rock right next to the glass and I have more of it on the back side of the rock where its not going to get much light but does seem to be getting good water flow... think it will be ok and survive? There are maybe 5 or 6 of them across the back side of my rock all about 2-3 mm in length. I need to go research and see what kinda care some of these critters need.... so much to learn. I have had the red lamp on late into the evenings watching to see what is moving in the tank after lights out and its incredible the amount of things popping out of the rock.

My water has been testing 0 across the board and I think I might go look for some clean up crew members for the tank very soon. Most likely nassarious or astrea snails to start with. Do they sell SW Nerites? What are the chances that the live rock I got doesnt require a cycle? I did get the store to give me their tank water to submerse it in while transporting it home. My sand is slowly getting more and more brown and I suspect this is cuz I have my lights on too long and because its a new tank(diatoms)? I am also just using tap water right now which probably is contributing to growth. RODI would be nice but will be down the road when I understand how things react to plain tap water. Would really like something to clean up as I am sure I am getting algae starting too. Good thing I am going back to work soon and wont be turning on the lights early like I have been.

Yup JLake... the sump was to increase total water volume and to allow the display tank to maintain a good water level so that bubbles dont form under the glass as easy.

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy