Angel Tank Mates

lazyass

I am setting up at tall 47gal for my angel. He is currently in a heavily planted 29gal with a ph around 6.8. I want to get the 47 at least close to that before moving him and Im looking for something to go in there before he does.

What about a goldfish? They can do lower ph. I know they are messy but I have a Fluval 305 on there..And it looks like the higher temps I like to keep my fish at isn't really the best for my angel...any experience with keeping the 2 together in a planted tank? It would be tougher ones like anubias and java fern on stacked driftwood along the back for the most part and random softer tall bunch plants for the goldfish to destroy with fresh, prepared and dried green supplements. Just a thought.

I plan on upgrading the angel again, hopefully this summer, when I get a bigger tank and move some of my bigger guys out of the 55. He might just go with them in the 100something gallon im hoping for. So he wont be stuck with them forever. And they will definitely be small when/if i get them.

Any other suggestions? So far he has not bothered any of the small schoolers in his 29. Just doesn't like a small red male platy when it's feeding time. I have had them with my bleeding hearts and rams in a tall tank at one point... I just want something a little different and im having a hard time deciding

I'd go with larger-bodied tetras like Serpae, Blackskirt, or Phantoms. I've seen angels slurp up cardinals and neons, even after being tankmates for months! Corys are good tankmates, Hatchets are good, too.

Goldfish lower PH from what i understand because of pollution of ammonia. I could be wrong but this is what i was told once and it made allot of sense. If you are looking to cycle the tank then that should be no problem if you just move the filter over with the fish.

One BIG reason is that goldfish grow BIG. Another is the temp difference between the two. Goldfish like it to be around 22 degrees and Angelfish being tropical more than likely will like it at 25 or 26 degrees and if not you still want to match the temp relatively well between the two tanks.

Go with Cardinal Tetras or something like listed above that are found in the same region as the Angelfish. I'm not sure but there may be some snacking but more than likely not.

Good luck

L

I'd go with larger-bodied tetras like Serpae, Blackskirt, or Phantoms. I've seen angels slurp up cardinals and neons, even after being tankmates for months! Corys are good tankmates, Hatchets are good, too.

Agreed, Stick to the larger tetras, rainbowfish, platies/swordtails, etc. The smaller tetras have a chance of getting eaten.Cardinals are angelfish food in the wild and I learned that the hard way when my angelfish decided to start eating my cardinals, even though they had grown up together for years before that.

Now I keep Congo tetras and Zebra loaches with my angel. But i've also kept neon rainbowfish, platies, columbian tetras, red eye tetras.

I wouldn't put goldfish in with any tropical fish. The requirements are too different and they aren't compatible.

My angels are in with mollies, swords, platies, cories and rasboras and they all get along. Wouldn't suggest goldfish as they can be "dirty" and angels prefer a cleaner tank.

Why does it matter if the fish are in the same region as angelfish?

I do not understand this thinking.. Unless the fish are wild caught and you plan on adjusting the water.. They are all swimming in treated or aged tap water? They were most likely born into tap water.

Discus usually are in adjusted tap water I can see but.... I think it is more about temperment of the fish you are combining,and the ability of all fish to be able to get at food in the tank..

Goldfish lower PH from what i understand because of pollution of ammonia. I could be wrong but this is what i was told once and it made allot of sense. If you are looking to cycle the tank then that should be no problem if you just move the filter over with the fish.

One BIG reason is that goldfish grow BIG. Another is the temp difference between the two. Goldfish like it to be around 22 degrees and Angelfish being tropical more than likely will like it at 25 or 26 degrees and if not you still want to match the temp relatively well between the two tanks.

Go with Cardinal Tetras or something like listed above that are found in the same region as the Angelfish. I'm not sure but there may be some snacking but more than likely not.

Good luck

L

Edited by Moutain Dew

i've had great experience keeping longfin rosy barbs with a veil tail angel. no fin nipping from either fish and they even played nice at feeding time. the long fins on the 5 barbs and the veil length fins on the angel looked really nice together too.

i've also kept a black ruby barb with the same above angel with no issue. a group of black rubies with an angel of contrasting colour would look nice.

Edited by BettaFishMommy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. I was trying for something a little different from tetras and live bearers seeing as I have both in my tanks already and was planning on moving a few out of the 55 into there.

Rosy barbs is a great idea. I had one that was given to me in a lot of fish a while ago that did really well and didnt bother anyone. I just felt bad cause he was the only one and gave him to someone that had a school.

I put my 5 black neons in there the other day. And picked up a couple of "special" guys from work

- a broken face bala shark. I know he wil get waayyy too big really fast but I thought it would be best to get him out of a store's system, make sure he is healthy and eating well and then re-home him.

-And a Emerald Green Cory that still has the bone for a pectoral fin but no actual fin, just a big ball of fuzz...this guy will join the school in the 55 when the fuzz ball is gone