Cloudy Water After Water Changes

butters

So the last few times I've done water changes the water goes a little whiteish/cloudy, and I noticed the ammonia levels spike briefly and the fish gasp at the surface for a while. I'm changing about 40 percent of the water, I use the proper amount of water conditioner, and I make sure the temperature is the same. I've tried to do some research and I can't figure out what is causing this?

how long has the tank been running and had fish in it?

how long after starting the tank up from the start did you wait until you put fish in the tank? (was there a full cycle completed)

how long has the cloudiness been noticable?

what are the water peramaters?

what kind of water conditioner do you use?

what size of filter do you have and how often have you cleaned it?

Agreed especially with 40 percent water changes. Without a conditioner that can deal with chloramine that a lot of hurt you can caue your fish. Not sure if that would make your water cloudy though. Is it cloudy the instant you put new water in? Or does it become cloudy after? It spikes amm u say? What's the nitrite and nitrate like?

THe cloudy water is the ammonia. Throw out whatever water conditioner you're using and get something that binds chloramines. I use Prime, but there are a few others that will work.

More than likely it's the Dechlorinator you are using. Switch to Prime. It may be a bit pricy in comparison to the others BUT you use allot less and its a much better product for relatively the same or lower price per use as other competitors. If that is not the solution then i suggest answering the questions posed above and we can go from there.

Good luck

L

how long has the tank been running and had fish in it?

how long after starting the tank up from the start did you wait until you put fish in the tank? (was there a full cycle completed)

how long has the cloudiness been noticable?

what are the water peramaters?

what kind of water conditioner do you use?

what size of filter do you have and how often have you cleaned it?

Thanks for all the responses people.

I've had this tank running for over a year now with fish.

I did go through a complete cycle for 6 weeks before I put fish in.

The cloudiness is noticable as soon as I put the water in, and eventually goes away a few hours later.

Water parameters are currently reading.. 6.6 to 6.8 pH, Ammonia is a 0 now but it was about 1-2.0 earlier, Nitrites are reading 0, and Nitrates look to be about 1.0.

I use the Big Al's Multi-Purpose stuff.

I have a Eheim 2213, and honestly I don't clean it very often at all. It's in a 55 gallon tank.

I think you guys may be right, this is the first time I have used this particular water conditioner, and I don't remember the water going cloudy when I was using different stuff before.

6.6-6.8!!! wow lol. I have to purposely try to get my PH that low in my piranha tank lol...

otherwise, I would get some prime and quit using the big als stuff. I would also start saving for atleast powerhead or something to get the flow up. 55 gallon filter will never run at what its rated IMO.

Water parameters are currently reading.. 6.6 to 6.8 pH, Ammonia is a 0 now but it was about 1-2.0 earlier, Nitrites are reading 0, and Nitrates look to be about 1.0.

I use the Big Al's Multi-Purpose stuff.

I have a Eheim 2213, and honestly I don't clean it very often at all. It's in a 55 gallon tank.

I think you guys may be right, this is the first time I have used this particular water conditioner, and I don't remember the water going cloudy when I was using different stuff before.

Edmonton water will also be cloudy for a minute or less due to disolved Co2

Prime is a very good choice

I would clean out the filter without destroying the bacteria (of course) at least every 3 month's.

Also a question: edmonton water is usually PH 7.8 what are you doing to lower it?

J

Edited by geleen

Since edmonton water has a high PH are you treating the water to lower the PH before you add it to the tank? The immediate PH change from such a large water change can and will cause stressed fish until whatever you have in the tank that is lowering PH has time to do it's job. For the Filter i think the expert rule of thumb is if it says rated for a 55 gallon max then get two for a 55gallon or go one model up. Two is always better in case of failure and to allow you to clean the filters alternatively so as not to cause a cycle. The fact that the ammonia drops back down after the water change suggests to me that the bacteria in the tank are perfectly capable of doing their job well and you shouldn't have to worry about that. Don't clean the filter until you have this issue resolved so it'll be easier to pinpoint the real issue. the other thing is the cloudiness could be from the difference in PH between edmonton water and your tank. I don't know for sure but for some reason that is what is popping into my head. The fish distress could also be from that allthough ammonia could be the real issue. Most test kits though will read both the free ammonia and the stuff that has allready been bound by the detoxifier(waterconditioner) this includes the API one. I'd suggest switching to prime to eliminate the chlorimines as an issue and double the dose just to be 100% sure. then if that doesn't work The PH might be your next battle.

Good luck

L

Edit

If you do a waterchange check PH before and after and you can also check the ammonia content of the added water.

Good luck

Edited by Ishkabod

Some information, thanks!

Actually I'm not doing anything to lower my PH. I just tested some straight out of the tap water and it is definitely 7.8, and then I just tested my tank again and it's about 6.4 to 6.6 now. I don't have any drift wood or anything either in my tank.

I did forget to mention that I do have a Aquaclear 70 on the tank as well, with the regular media in it plus an ammonia filter bag which I forget what it's called, it's the one where you are suppose to "recharge" it with saltwater or something or other, except I have never "recharged" it and just left it in there.