Pink Heart Mollies

Sierra

So I was at PJs pets and actually it never hit me till i started writing this that valentines is coming up but..

They have mollies um that have tattooed/dyed pink hearts on them. They are... ugly but I kinda felt bad for them...what is the process to get a shape on a fish. Strategic injections?

I don't know how are fish dyed just injected with color...huh.gif It seems kinda unneeded? Anyway it was something new to me. *shrug*

Yeah its pretty gross what people do to fish to make $$$. I just stop buying from stores that sell dyed or colored fish.

I believe there is a few different ways fish are colored. They can be injected with dye(like cories or painted glass fish with a neon stripe), put into a dye solution(usually sold as "blueberry tetras" or something similar) or tattooed with designs(common on parrot fish). I've also seen pics of fish that have had cropping done to their fins to make them look like a different shape aka heart parrot fish. Its pretty gross.

Google "painted fish" for some sites that describe it

Those Corys are an actual species. I believe that when Vallisneria refers to the stripe she is refering to the dorsal edge of the glassfish. In the past, Corys used to get a big red dye spot on their caudal peduncle to make them " more attractive". I haven't seen one like that for a while now.

I thought those green neon cories were an acutal species...

Those Corys are an actual species. I believe that when Vallisneria refers to the stripe she is refering to the dorsal edge of the glassfish. In the past, Corys used to get a big red dye spot on their caudal peduncle to make them " more attractive". I haven't seen one like that for a while now.

The Lazer cories or green neon cories are different. I'm talking about the albino cories that are injected with a neon stripe down their backs, similar to the glassfish. Thankfully I haven't seen any for a while either.

Did you ever think the mollies were out with the "boys" drinking and they all got matching tattoos?? Has been known to happen with males of the human species, why not fish??

Did you ever think the mollies were out with the "boys" drinking and they all got matching tattoos?? Has been known to happen with males of the human species, why not fish??

Good theory, but i think it went down more like this; after the drinks someone grabbed them, held them down terrified and wouldn't let them breathe, then didn't let them choose the tattoo they wanted or the color. Maybe they wanted 'MoM' tattoos, or 'Donna' ones. They weren't part of the creative descision making process, betcha nobody asked if them if they wanted to be the canvas part of the process. Pretty sure their answer would have been F U. Poor little guys.

I am rather disgusted by this practice and the farms that do this, as well as the stores that support this cruelty. I think that if there were Valentines Day themed cats and dogs there would be an uproar. Why is cruelty to fish not frowned upon? If we could hear them scream would we think differently? Pisses me off that there has to be a gimmick, heaven forbid they sell fish on their own merit of good breeding and health bla bla bla.

No different than farms pumping fish full of hormones so cichlids color up at 2 inches, and eventually turns them all to males or destroys their reproductive ability I guess. Buyer beware, I just make a point of not buying fish that are from places that support these farms and practices.

Don't get me wrong, I have culled fish as needed. The downside of the breeding game. But I do it quickly and without cruelty. So please don't take my comments as just being someone who is on the 'all creatures are sacred' soapbox. I just think it's unnecessary.

Edited by Jayba

I personally think the reason that fish don't get the protection that other pets do is that MOST people still don't think that fish feel any pain. It's untrue as new studies in the last decade have come to light but still it's not something many people know so they don't think twice about it.

I really dislike this practice and if those molly's show up again in another store i might be suprised because when they order fish like that they read a line on a long list with a breif description and if that is what they get then they must sell them. If they don't get any more after this batch then it must be a one off and they learned their lesson.

Anywho I don't like to see fish like this and if people actually knew what they did to those fish to get colours like they have then i don't think there would be much of a market for them. As it is people like us on sites like this and some store employees are doing a good job of making the practice less and less profitable.

Go us.

Thanks for sharing.

L