Adding Water To Your Tank Via A Python

BigWater

Ok, I thought that maybe you had bought a new tank.

Even if you were treating for the entire volume of your tank, it would work out to 1/4 tsp for a 100 gallon tank. FYI - I use just over 1/8 teaspoon when doing 50% water changes in my 125's. :)

It's the dry powder version of Prime.

Seachems Directions for Safe:

To remove…

Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 60 L (15 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 75 L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 11 L (3 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

1 measure of Safe (100 mg) is only a reference point.

So using Safe for 2 mg/l of chloramine (such as Red Deer & Edmonton tap water), one would need to use 2 measures (200 mg) for every 20 gallons of tap water, or 1 gram per 100 gallons of tap water.

That works out to approx. 1/8 teaspoon per 100 gallons of tap water.

A 4kG container will treat 400,000 gallons of (Red Deer/Edmonton) tap water, a 4L jug of Prime will treat 80,000 gallons of chloramine treated tap water @ 2 mg/l chloramine. (Red Deer/Edmonton)

It's the dry powder version of Prime.

Seachems Directions for Safe:

To remove…

Chlorine: use 1 measure to each 60 L (15 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Chloramine: use 1 measure to each 75 L (20 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm).

Ammonia: use 1 measure to each 11 L (3 gallons*) of tap water (removes 1 ppm). Do not overdose!

1 measure of Safe (100 mg) is only a reference point.

So using Safe for 2 mg/l of chloramine (such as Red Deer & Edmonton tap water), one would need to use 2 measures (200 mg) for every 20 gallons of tap water, or 1 gram per 100 gallons of tap water.

That works out to approx. 1/8 teaspoon per 100 gallons of tap water.

A 4kG container will treat 400,000 gallons of (Red Deer/Edmonton) tap water, a 4L jug of Prime will treat 80,000 gallons of chloramine treated tap water @ 2 mg/l chloramine. (Red Deer/Edmonton)

Where can you buy this?

thanks

John

i never shut off filters . there is enough good water in the tank to keep the chlorine from killing bacteria only thing i shut off is the heaters. besides prime works almost emediatly . only major thing is to make sure water is same temp as the water in your tank

One last thing to add is you need to dose for the volume of the whole tank and not just for what you are adding to the tank. When i change the water in my tank i don't turn my filters or heaters off unless they are ones that are near the top of the tank. For my cannisters it gives me a good guideline as to when to stop draining the tank and this allows the heater to still be in the water far enough that it won't heat and crack when it comes into contact with water again.

The directions on the prime bottle i read state to dose for the tank volume. I also am sure to have the python hose end secured into the tank with a glass lid so when the water pressure straightens it and flicks it up when you are refilling the tank it won't flick up and out of the tank as has happened to me when i first started to use the python. That or just slowly twist the bottom of the attatchment so that the water doesn't just rush into and out of the hose.

Good luck

L

We're very lucky in Calgary to not be on chloramine.... yet. Some rumors of them switching to it soon.

I typically change 20% or so just adding direct out of the tap. I've done that since the 90s, never adding any conditioners of any kind. That of course will change if and when Calgary goes to a chloramine system.