I Hate Air Pumps

ty_s

Hello so i love life till 11 pm when my air pump comes on to gas off the co2 in my tank till 8 am the lights come on at about 10 am. yes i know thats 13 hr of 4W per gallon of light but the lights for me lol.

Now has any one came up with a air pump muffler i am up till about 1 every night and i can hear the dam thing from my bed room. i even removed the spring loaded check valve cuz it was humming more then the air pump. will replaces it though.

i have tried punting it in socks works so so, i even made an en-closer out of a 6" foam roll that was from physio therapy cut it 9" long sliced 2" off it hallowed it all out plumed it put it back together and it made a nice drum.

someone hear in fish land must have away to make it not so noise i can deal with the air bubbles cuz that is keeping my fish alive over night till i get a soiled for the co2blowup.gifblowup.gifblowup.gif being vary new to the co2 end of things i am scared to do 2 bubbles per second co2 in my 55 gallon tank over night with nothing rely braking the water on a well covered tank

so plz me my horse.gif and help me out.

Edited by 55gallon

someone hear in fish land must have away to make it not so noise i can deal with the air bubbles cuz that is keeping my fish alive over night till i get a soiled for the co2 being vary new to the co2 end of things i am scared to do 2 bubbles per second co2 in my 55 gallon tank over night with nothing rely braking the water on a well covered tank

so plz me my horse.gif and help me out.

On a pressurized system install a solenoid on a timer that shuts off an hour before lights out, and on 1/2 hr before lights on

On a DIY undo the tubing at the bottle

HTH

I find that my overflow and return pump are so noisy that the air pump is the least of my worries. lol

Seriously though there are brands and models that claim to be silent. Perhaps look into one of those. I have done the face cloth method in the past with great results also.

Yeah, I'm with Geleen. I don't know of any reason to gas off CO2 at night. As long as you have proper circulation through the tank, there's no way CO2 can be detrimental at night. I run 3 bubbles/sec 24/7 in my 120gal, and my fish are fine. Mind you, it has an FX5, an AC802 powerhead dispersing CO2, and another 250gph pump running the UGJ - so, lots of circulation.

personally i have a lot of different brands of air pumps accross our tanks and find that the rena are not only the best quality but they are likely the quietest out of the major brands. I have not tried the "stellar" branded air pumps from big als though..

I find the worst quality pumps to be the tetra whisper pumps as they need to be rebuilt often to keep them quiet

ya im not working right now and EI has not kicked in yet. in a perfect would i would install a solenoid on a timer that shuts off an hour before lights out, and on 1/2 hr before lights on

i have 2 fluvial 305's running on my tank cant hear them ever.

back to the dang air pump it is http://www.hagen.com...=01008440011101

and you experts say i can just let the co2 fly all night long?

Edited by 55gallon

You can always feed your co2 into a small filter/powerhead and have that on a timer. Then at night the powerhead turns off and the co2 just bubbles out in big bubbles, instead of a fine mist. I did that when my solenoid was broken. I used a small elite mini filter that ran with my light timer.

I have a hagen optima/maxima adjustable 2 output air pump that I got used for free and I used to have it run in my room on my 10 gallon. I would have it hanging in my closet so it was not touching anything, and wrapped it up in a bunch of sheets hahah. The result was that the bubbles produced were louder than the airpump.

Now it is running on my 75g at night time to remove and protein sheen/scum that may collect on the surface, and it runs in an open stand, cranked all the way up, and in the living room and it does not bother anybody during quiet scenes of movies or anything so long as the food container doesn't start vibrating up against it. That usually gives me a startle once the pump kicks in :P

Edited by ridethespiral

I found the best way to quiet an air pump is to unplug it. That said it seems like you are worried about the fish if you don't have enough surface aggitation. Everyone seems to be on consensus that you need to get something to fix the problem. I know what it's like not having the money to buy my way out of an issue so here is a suggestion.

Have the output of the cannister filter(s) aggitating the surface as much as possible if you don't allready. If the output of the cannister is near the surface or just below it the force of the water flowing will allow adaquite gas exchange even with lights out. That said if for some reason the water has CO2 issues the surface aggitation should be more than adaquite for the fish to survive the night easily in a more oxygen rich area. When the lights come on see if they are near the top of the tank and if they are then you need a better solution.

Here is a second option. You say it's keeping you up at night well what about reduceing the flow of bubbles from the air pump gradually over a few nights to observe the fish and how they react to haveing less and less surface agitation from the bubbles.

Option 3 Get a long bit of airline tubeing at Rona or Aquarium central and place the air pump in another room/closet etc. It'll only cost a few dollars.

Option 4 I'm not sure if this will work or damage the equipment since i don't know anything about the mechanics of the setup but what about pinching off the supply of CO2 to the tank before you go to bed instead?

Oh and I'm fairly certin option 1 is completely safe knowing what many others have in their tanks (3bpm 24/7)

Good luck

L

i have just been letting the co2 go at it 24/7 so fair i have not seen any problems but that being said there is outside light creeping in at what of my god its 6 am lol. not seeing much growth out of my tank though witch scares me a weeee bit i know i have the lights and co2 and the filters for it just not seeing growth yet