20G Long Iwagumi (Iwagumi Inspired Anyways..)

jeremoose

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good growth =) can't wait to see it filled in

That makes two of us then, I'm getting so impatient! I think my next update won't be until the majority of the middle section is filled in.

Any thoughts from anyone for a background plant that's a little taller?

e tenellus? if you can find a way to prevent it from growing and mixing in with the hairgrass carpet it would look sharp. It would give a taller darker grass look to stay with the iwagumi feel of things. You can also try hemianthus micranthemoides in the background if you can get it thick through constant trimming you can form nice hills of HM in the background. I dunno.. just some ideas

e tenellus? if you can find a way to prevent it from growing and mixing in with the hairgrass carpet it would look sharp. It would give a taller darker grass look to stay with the iwagumi feel of things. You can also try hemianthus micranthemoides in the background if you can get it thick through constant trimming you can form nice hills of HM in the background. I dunno.. just some ideas

I love it! I just have to find some now..

• 1 month later...

Having a dirty snail problem, was trying to find some Assassin Snails in town but couldn't find any.. Anywhere, here it is in all it's snaily (algae-y) goodness! Believe it or not I'm winning the algae battle now, it WAS worse than this before.

41414071.jpg

82911706.jpg

It looks great! The grass spread out nicely! One of these days I'm gonna go all out and revamp my shrimp tank, and I think I'll have to put some grass in it!

As for assassin snails, if you're having a hard time finding some try Aquarium Central next time you're in the city. They always have lot's in :)

It looks great! The grass spread out nicely! One of these days I'm gonna go all out and revamp my shrimp tank, and I think I'll have to put some grass in it!

As for assassin snails, if you're having a hard time finding some try Aquarium Central next time you're in the city. They always have lot's in :)

The grass was a pain to get to grow in but it looks really great in person although I admit: it really needs a trim. And yeah, next time I'm in E-town I'll get some for sure.. Until then, I'll keep picking them out as snacks for my Texas Cichlid. He just eats them whole and spits out shards of the shell, lol.

Cool! I'd love to get a fish that eats snails. Hoping to get some cute Kuhli Loaches soon for my 55g. Gonna be moving a lot of fish around soon, so I'm gonna have room for more, hehehe

I personally like the grass at that height, it looks bouncy...no idea why I think that, but it's what came to my mind haha

I look forward to seeing it when the grass has completely covered the bottom! :D

Cool! I'd love to get a fish that eats snails. Hoping to get some cute Kuhli Loaches soon for my 55g. Gonna be moving a lot of fish around soon, so I'm gonna have room for more, hehehe

I personally like the grass at that height, it looks bouncy...no idea why I think that, but it's what came to my mind haha

I look forward to seeing it when the grass has completely covered the bottom! :D

I toyed with the idea of loaches but some sources said that they'd eat my shrimp and sadly, my Texas Cichlid is anything but cute, lol.

I also like the look of the grass being at a 'bouncy' height but i read somewhere that it grows outwards more if you trim the tops down low, and I almost feel bad for the shrimp it looks like they're struggling to get through it sometimes.

I toyed with the idea of loaches but some sources said that they'd eat my shrimp and sadly, my Texas Cichlid is anything but cute, lol.

I also like the look of the grass being at a 'bouncy' height but i read somewhere that it grows outwards more if you trim the tops down low, and I almost feel bad for the shrimp it looks like they're struggling to get through it sometimes.

At least there's plenty of places for the shrimplets to hide. I wonder how kuhli's would look swimming through all that grass...could be interesting to watch. Good to know that shorter grass will spread faster :)

I have a small 20L dwarf SA chichlid tank and this is pure inspiration! I love the grass look, what kind of plants are those Id love to add some to my tank.

Thanks very much! The grass is Dwarf Hairgrass, grows pretty quickly, and it's pretty common so you should have a problem finding some. Let's see a picture of your project when you get it going! :D