How To Remove White Water Stain

noot

I have a used 90 gallon tank I am cleaning up and getting ready to start up. It has some white stains around the top of the tank that I can't get off. I have tried hot water and vinegar, but that doesn't seem to do a thing. Anyone know a good safe way to clean this stain off?

Thanks

Grab a razor blade and give that a go. Use a bit of tank water as a lubricant so it's not against dry glass. Always worked like a charm in the past. A razor blade is also a 100% sure fire fix for green spot on your aquarium glass !

The kind I use at gives a larger UNSHARP gripping area. :)

Other%20T&T%20-%20Razor%20Blade%202.jpg

If you can find some hydrochloric acid, that'll work. It's labeled as muric or muriatic acid at pool supply stores. I know people around here who've used CLR and gone on to breed hundreds of fish in those tanks. Just rinse really well.

I have done this with great success:

• Soak paper shop towels with pickling vinegar
  • Lay them on the affected area for 45-60 minutes
  • Scrape with single edged razor blade
  • Rinse well

Good luck.

Did this on a tank that I almost didn't even bother trying to save cause of how much dried algae and water deposits were on it when given the tank for free, after letting it soak I spend about 20-25 minutes going through it all with the razor and it looked new, just make sure you're careful around the silicone as you could unseal the tank.

• 4 weeks later...

I just did the vinegar soak thing on some glass as well. Laid paper towel on the glass, soaked it with regular vinegar. I was intending to use a razor blade but got called away! When I came back several hours later the paper towel was dry, and the glass was really clean. I didn't bother scraping cause it was so good. Just rinsed and done!

I just did the vinegar soak thing on some glass as well. Laid paper towel on the glass, soaked it with regular vinegar. I was intending to use a razor blade but got called away! When I came back several hours later the paper towel was dry, and the glass was really clean. I didn't bother scraping cause it was so good. Just rinsed and done!

Very interesting...will have to remember this. One thing that also comes to mind put a piece of saran wrap over that area...it will keep it moist much longer. When I do strip woodwork, I use the plastic sheet method to keep the stripper moist for a longer period of time. Works like a charm, everything just peels off.. I use newspaper as it seems it has a bit more body than a paper towel.

Even if you can't get it all off, you probably won't notice it once the tank is filled with water. I bought a used tank and tried most of the above methods, scraped, scrubbed, soaked, and there was still a bit of a whitish film left. I can't see it at all when there is water in the tank.