Filters

Mike1962

Probably 2 filters each rated for at least, if not double your tank capacity. HOB and Canisters tend to be favored on tanks that aren't drilled. A sump would be great on a drilled tank.

An FX5 is probably a bit much for a 66gal tank - they push a lot of water. A 90gal is probably the smallest cichlid tank I'd put an FX5 on. A combination of Canister and HOB is popular.

Bigalsonline.ca has the 405 on for $150 right now. Alternatively Pisces has the xp3 for $150 as well. The 405 is rated for a 100 gallon tank and the XP3 is rated for a 175 gallon tank despite only having flow of 10gph more. One of these would probably be enough for your tank, and could always add an AC50 ontop of them if it isn't enough. Somebody else on here should be able to give a better overview between the 405 and the XP3

Are you wanting a recommendation for filter types?

I used HOBs for centuries. Then I switched to canister. I ran my canister along side my HOB long enough to establish bio in the canister, then I happily took the HOB off, cleaned it and put it on the parts shelf. A calculated risk that I'm willing to take and I haven't looked back.

Are you wanting a recommendation for filter brands?

You can get lots of opinions by searching the forums. Here is my attempt http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=35084&hl=&fromsearch=1

The internet is packed with opinions too. I'm sure you'll discover that everyone has their fave, and that every brand has their ups and downs, goods and bads, pros and cons, yays and booze. :beer:

I would have been happy with a filter 2x my tank capacity. But I found a used canister for a killer price rated at nearly 3x.

If you're patient and shrewd, you can find good prices on used filters of all stripes.

Good luck Mike!

if you can wait 2ish weeks, I picked up a 'sun sun/perfect' brand filter off ebay, its the same as the marineland, I chose the one with a built in uv, it was 120 shipped, or you can get the one without uv, that one is @20$ cheaper

I've been running it for 1 month, no problems, and reading up on them online, I have seen very little complaints, the only real complaints I've seen is people's fear of 'made in china/ chinese brand name'but nothing really about its functionality

Used 2 Aquaclear 70's HOB on my 55, then switched them out for a RENA XP4 (left one 70 on for a month while xp4 established) fine tuned the spray bar so that my fish weren't "awash" in the current...kinda funny at times ;). Since have moved everything over to a 90 gal, and resetting the 55 up with once again 2 HOB's until a deal can be found for a rena xp3 or something similar. Both tanks are "over-filtered" but only clean once every couple months, top up water levels as needed and minimal (20%)water change every 2 weeks or so crystal clear water and NO issues with water chemistry (knock on wood). I so much prefer the canisters over the HOB's if for nothing else the "quietness". Both are an acceptable method though.