Cleaning Fry Tanks ?tips?

Sierra

For those of you with tons of tiny little fry...what are your tricks and tips?

Currently I use a small siphon hose as it's important to me to get the junk of the bare bottom but this is very tedious. I find fry who have been accidentally sucked up rarely survive.

I'm looking for a better way...help me out!

Should I add a cleaner to the tank to help out? What do you guys recommend?

If the fry are by mulm, I just leave it. Doing large, frequent WCs helps keep the water clean enough. Suck up the crud next time.

The crud is probably providing some infusorian food for the fry. If you're really concerned, throw in a bunch of snails, common Ramshorns, pond snails, and they'll start to turn the mulm into snail feces, which will in turn feed the infusoria.

I have no live plants in my fry tank but some small round gravel and decor, i bought some hadbrosus cory s and ottos and they do a pretty good job keeping everything tidy and leave the fry alone

I have been known to put an old kneehigh over the end of the siphon. It doesn't suck up the mulm but also doesn't get the fry. And if I see any male members of AA buying pantyhose, I'll know why.....

Knee highs! Haha. I use a 1/4 inch hose, and use a bucket. Then if you suck up a baby, you can use a baster and throw him back in. A 1/4 inch hose is big enough also that fry that go for a ride are unhurt