What Loaches Eat Snails?

AJanzen

Hey everyone,

Unsurprisingly my planted tank has a RHS problem and picking them out and crushing the eggs just isn't solving the problem. Also, my 20G barb tank has a growing RHS problem due to my own stupidity (had some weird algae I wanted cleaned up, chucked about 10 RHS from my planted tank in there after the GF told me it was a dumb idea, they cleaned it up but even after removing them after two days there are probably about 40 small RHS kicking around now). I know that clown loaches are renowned snail destroyers but what other types of loaches are good for snail annihilation? I have cherry shrimp in my 75g planted but plan on removing them for a while to a 55g while the loaches do their work, and eventually the loaches will move to our 90g after they've finished the job.

Skunk loaches love snails, but they also love poking holes in live plants and are quite mean. This is from personal experience mine now live with zebra danios the only fish quick enough not to be attacked. You might just want to get some assassin snails to take care of your snail problem.

I keep chocolate cichlids, they love to eat snails. Their tank is 100% snail free. I give them snails as feeders and you can hear their shells breaking inside their mouths. I am sure you could offer some of your adult snails for free and some people will take them as feeders or to breed them :)

I personally don't mind snails in my tanks. I think they play a role cleaning the tank and cause little damage to my plants.

Are you running CO2? If so, just increase it a bit. When running a high light tank w CO2 I never had a snail problem bc the carbonic acid caused by CO2 weakens their shells too much.

Other tanks are a problem, tho I have found that L91 plecos are pretty good at RHS control.

Most loaches eat snails. They always need a group more than 3 to be happy. My assassin snail take good care of the tank as well and are usually available through a request on this forum.

J

Well unfortunately my plan went awry anyways. Figured I'd chuck the loaches in the 90g cichlid tank eventually but after some research it seems that it's not really fair to try and pair Lake Malawi Cichlids with loaches due to their respective water requirements. Thanks for the thoughts though people, might just have to get the old 55g running again for an end loach tank :) Just gotta put it somewhere the girlfriend won't notice... hmmm...

any kind of loach or botia will eat snails as part of their natural diet and will continue to do so in home aquaria. Like val said zebra loaches are small and leave plants alone. give them a try.

Also clown loaches do very well in harder water with a high PH so you should be ok there as well...

just my 2 cents

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Anyone have zebra loaches around Calgary area?

Hello and welcome to this forum.

It might be best to start a new topic asking for this item. This topic is more than 2 years old.

If you did have a snail issue it might be good to also look at a root cause.