What To Use When Vinegar Won't Work?

gBOYsc2

I have some kind of film on the glass of a new aquarium I acquired for free and I cannot get it off for the life of me. I tried vinegar several times, organic clr type stuff, glass cleaner and even a razor with no success. What can I use to get it off? I want to paint the back of the tank but I think this will show if I don't remove it first.

I've been there had the same problem tried everything finally gave up and spray painted the worst side and called it my back ground.

tried:vinegar,CLR,petro based solvent,methyl hydrate,baking soda,isopropyl alcohol even tooth paste with a dremel puffing wheel.

What is tsp?

http://en.wikipedia....odium_phosphate

http://www.homedepot...er-400-g/912197

"cleaner that works on everything from laundry to garage floors. Known for years by professional painters as an excellent grease remover from walls, T.S.P. is a household necessity."

...used it for years from A -> Z

Where would I find TriSodiumPhosphate?

I've been there had the same problem tried everything finally gave up and spray painted the worst side and called it my back ground.

tried:vinegar,CLR,petro based solvent,methyl hydrate,baking soda,isopropyl alcohol even tooth paste with a dremel puffing wheel.

Bummer dude. I hope it's not the same case here. Did it show lots through the painted side?

Is it on the glass or 'in' the glass? I think you can get permanent glass damage from a few cleaning chemicals (off hand I can't remember which ones), they cause the glass to appear misty or translucent because of the deposition/bonding of certain minerals in the surface pores of the glass. Actually its the same thing they do with smartphone screens, except more random and different elements. From what I understand, its not practical to 'undo' . Can make the glass pre-tensioned and thus stronger though.

Edited by Iceturf

Have you filled the tank with water yet? If not, give that a shot as sometimes the film isn't visible when the tank is filled.

Is it on the glass or 'in' the glass? I think you can get permanent glass damage from a few cleaning chemicals (off hand I can't remember which ones), they cause the glass to appear misty or translucent because of the deposition/bonding of certain minerals in the surface pores of the glass. Actually its the same thing they do with smartphone screens, except more random and different elements. From what I understand, its not practical to 'undo' . Can make the glass pre-tensioned and thus stronger though.

It's on the glass. I had trouble distinguishing which side of the glass it was on until I held something to each side fo the glass. It looks like hard water stains or something but it is almost not even there. Can barely feel it with my fingers and a razor doesn't seem to have any effect on it.

Have you filled the tank with water yet? If not, give that a shot as sometimes the film isn't visible when the tank is filled.

Just filled it today but I haven't checked what it will look like. The only reason I want it gone is because I want to paint the back of the tank black and don't want a white film between the glass and paint.

I was suggested a magic eraser on a different site I am going to give that a try. If that doesn't work I will try the TSP then if that doesn't work who knows.

Edited by gBOYsc2