Shrimp Id Help

kristarockstar

I bought a tank with a bunch of cherry shrimp in it. Now that they have coloured up I noticed a few other shrimp that were definitely not red.

This one looks almost black, but some of the other ones are a dark brown. (sorry about the blurr, good camera lens still broken so iphone it is!)

Are these a different colour of the same species? Or something else?

776cd1ab-449f-434d-886c-46600d9f1f41_zps7d5c69fd.jpg

Edited by kristarockstar

I had a huge pop'n of shrimp at one time that was a mix of cherry and green shrimp (I was assured they wouldn't hybridize, but they ended up being the same sp.) that ended up producing a lot I different colors: zebra, brown, yellow and blue. I sold all of these off a couple years ago, could be that you got some of the same.

that looks like the brown "wild" form of the cherry shrimp. They pop up from time to time in red cherry colonies. The base colour range from clear to blueish with a brown pattern (where you would see red on a normal cherry shrimp). They can be selectively bred to increase the intensity of the blue and coverage of the brown to be more solid as seen in "Chocolate" shrimps. It would take a while though to get from a "wild" cherry to a solid chocolate shrimp though and i believe the darker chocolate shrimps (almost black) got their blues from blue rili's / jelly shrimps (another color variate of the cherry) as the blues in the wild forms are not very stable.

• 2 weeks later...

I just call them wild cherry shrimps because they is essentially what they are.

Red cherry shrimps were actually brown in the wild before they were selectively bred to be red, yellow and the various other colours and patterns they come in these days. Red Cherry, Red Sakura, PFR, Yellow, Orange Sakura / Pumpkin, Blue Velvet, red / blue / carbon Rilli's, Chocolate etc; are all the same species (Neocaridina heteropoda) or just Neo's for short

Granted, the original wild cherry shrimps were not as solid as the one in your photo but they were brown nevertheless.

People have mentioned that cross breeding with the various coloured Neo's (i.e Red with Yellow) will result in having mostly the brown "wild" type offsprings - that is why it is generally not recommended to mix the various Neo's I mention above.

I chronicled the journey of my own "wild" cherry from shrimplet to adult a while back:

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=36529

I eventually separated them and breed them to a couple of generations before losing interest when Chocolate shrimps hit the scene.

If you want to try increasing the brown color of them just cull out the clearer coloured shrimps form time to time but make sure you leave several nice males.

I am not 100% certain but I believe to go from a wild cherry aka brown neo to a chocolate shrimps you will need selectively breed them to

1) Solidify the brown pattern i.e. like going from regular red cherry shrimp to a painted fire red

2) Remove or minimize the lighter coloured "racing strips" on their backs

3) For the Dark Chocolate shrimps (almost black) you will need to stabilize the blue tint that is form the base shell colour most likely from crossing with Blue velvet or Blue Rilli's

hope this helps