Natural Rock

Is this stuff safe for an aquarium? My understanding is it's Flagstone?

https://shop.burnco.com/products/1--rundle-black-315.html

Anyone ever used it?

I'm looking for slate, but my Fort McMurray options seem to be limited.

Thank you,

Eric

Edited by flash_oesc

Rundle rock / Flagstone are commercial names for plain old shale I'm using some in my Multi tank no problems and hasn't raised ph you can google shale and take it from there.Some types should be avoided.

If you have some Muric or Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid (vinegar works to a much lesser degree), take a little bit with you to Burnco and put a drop or two on the rocks you like. If there's no bubbling, it's probably safe for the tank. I tend to avoid rocks that look like they have seams of iron or lime, but otherwise, the bubble test is pretty accurate.

If you have some Muric or Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid (vinegar works to a much lesser degree), take a little bit with you to Burnco and put a drop or two on the rocks you like. If there's no bubbling, it's probably safe for the tank. I tend to avoid rocks that look like they have seams of iron or lime, but otherwise, the bubble test is pretty accurate.

I had heard the vinegar test provided mixed results. I tested a piece of rock months ago with vinegar, got no reaction, but was still too scared to put it in my tank. I'll take a look for some Muriatic acid, I see Home Hardware carries it.

Rundle rock / Flagstone are commercial names for plain old shale I'm using some in my Multi tank no problems and hasn't raised ph you can google shale and take it from there.Some types should be avoided.

Yeah, it's the 'some types should be avoided' that is scary. I have $200 in plecos in the tank I want to add these too, not to mention the couple hundred in fish I'm about to order once they clear quarantine... Scary as heck.

Check the pool section of Canadian Tire, too - I work at a HUGE pool, and that's what we use to lower pH.

Check the pool section of Canadian Tire, too - I work at a HUGE pool, and that's what we use to lower pH.

You use muriatic acid (HCI) in the huge pool? "What do you add to your pool water?" -- "High strength hydrochloric acid muhahahahaha, gets rid of annoying customers!"

-roll-

Edited by Iceturf

You use muriatic acid (HCI) in the huge pool? "What do you add to your pool water?" -- "High strength hydrochloric acid muhahahahaha, gets rid of annoying customers!"

-roll-

Yeah... sometimes I wish it were a bit more diabolical. :) It's just the fastest, easiest, safest way to regulate pH when CO2 can't keep up.

Yeah, it's the 'some types should be avoided' that is scary. I have $200 in plecos in the tank I want to add these too, not to mention the couple hundred in fish I'm about to order once they clear quarantine... Scary as heck.

For the safety of your Plecco's one thing you could do (which I have done in the past) is buy the rocks you want (after doing the acid test. . .which I have also walked around stores squirting rocks with an eye dropper! haha) get the rocks home, put them in a bucket of the water you would use in the tank (test the water first and record results) then wait a couple of days/week and test the water again. If you see even a marginal change in that short time, chances are that you will see a greater change after a longer period of time. If they will change your water chemistry in a way you don't like, dry them out and take them back (I've returned rock to Burnco before without any issues).

It takes a little longer than "get them home, scrub them up, throw them in" but as you say, you have expensive fish. . .so better safe than sorry! This is usually the approach I take when adding anything questionable to my breeding tanks. Last thing I want to do is kill off my fish because of a $6 rock!

Good luck!

For the safety of your Plecco's one thing you could do (which I have done in the past) is buy the rocks you want (after doing the acid test. . .which I have also walked around stores squirting rocks with an eye dropper! haha) get the rocks home, put them in a bucket of the water you would use in the tank (test the water first and record results) then wait a couple of days/week and test the water again. If you see even a marginal change in that short time, chances are that you will see a greater change after a longer period of time. If they will change your water chemistry in a way you don't like, dry them out and take them back (I've returned rock to Burnco before without any issues).

It takes a little longer than "get them home, scrub them up, throw them in" but as you say, you have expensive fish. . .so better safe than sorry! This is usually the approach I take when adding anything questionable to my breeding tanks. Last thing I want to do is kill off my fish because of a $6 rock!

Good luck!

I've thought about doing this. I think I've commited a tragic error by over researching to the point I'm terrified. I've heard about rocks that are safe for a long time, then suddenly leach heavy metals and other toxins and stuff. I only have a standard test kit right now (Ammo, N02, N03 and PH), so I may need to get more tests before doing this. The internet is a wondeful and TERRIBLE thing, all at the same time.

I am trying to remember and I could be wrong, but I think Ocean City was selling them a while ago for around $20

Depending on how high tech you want to go (and what you want to spend) Concept Controls also sells them locally (conceptcontrols.com) but they are the higher end ones which will run you about $100 (I had one of these and it was amazing! Right up until I stepped on it. . .PROTIP: They don't like that)

Davies Supply also has more basic ones (not sure of the price, but I did call there not too long ago looking for one) - http://www.daviessg.com/

I have a feeling at the end day, even with shipping, you'll find a cheaper one online that is just as good.

Good luck!