New Saps

Gillyan

So I recently got some SAPs for my 90 Gallon, they are really quite the characters. After about a year or so of research as they require a lot of special care,I plunged. Got them home and they broke out with yup-ICK, was expected, but have had a really long road in recovering them. I can finally say today I see no cysts- but the LFS said maybe over 6 weeks or longer of a continued battle with the disease. Anyways they are eating well- foraging for snails and finally fattening up-I have two small 5G tanks set-up with snails/breeding them and am finding they are eating more than what can reproduce. Also feeding them Mysis. Any suggestions on what I can do to sustain there huge appetite now that they are getting healthier? In the past I coundn't clean the tank enough and get rid of snails now am finding I am needing more than what I can produce. Any thoughts, very much appreciated.

I'm venturing a guess of South American Puffer, if you ever make your way out to Devon I have an abundance of MTS and ramshorn snails you can have, and fairly certain a few others have some they can give you.

Yes they are South American Puffers. They are quite the characters, I am glad to see they are getting better, it was sad for me when they were sick, even though it was to be expected, or they warned me at the LFS, but still seeing sick fish and having sick fish can be worrisome.Thank you SuperGuppyGirl I appreciate this and will definitely make it out to Devon just to even meet you and your tanks would be great, snails or no snails. My hubby bought me a couple plants today and they came loaded with snails so popped as many as I could into the the snail breeders, hopefully they'll start getting romantic!

I have 4 pea puffers, so my problem is keeping enough tiny snails for them lol they rarely take on the big ones, so I have tons. Always welcome meeting people who don't think my fish obsession is crazy lol.

• 3 months later...

I've had SAPs before and I generally gave them the usually puffer fare. Store bought human grade shrimp tails was a favourite. They only got the tail...I ate the rest...lol. SAPs like you may already know will require puffer dentistry. Even with daily feedings of snails, I trimmed the beak about every 6-8 months. Without snails, even sooner. They are fun and interesting. Post some pics!

Edited by fatpuffer

Will try to post some pics- have had troubles in the past with posting my pics-they are doing really well so far no dentistry required yet -but probably soon are growing faster now.And yes they are so much fun and interesting nice to know there are other Puffer peeps out there! They are my fav fish- every morning I have their tank in the kitchen, crazy I know, but anyways, they come up and swim and interact with my boys in the morning, even my toddler during breakfast before they go to school its truly quite something- they are like dogs or cats in a way- much more social than my other obsession the plecos-lol. Even more social than cichlids!

I am so happy with them!!!

Thanks everyone!!!

Edited by Gillyan