Pond Snails In Shrimp Tank

eddie0808

Hi! I'm quiet new to the aquatic pets, and my first pet turned out to be Red Rili shrimps!

Today I noticed a little snail in my 5 Gallon tank, and through my research it seems to be a pond snail.

When I looked through the web i did not get a clear answer to whether or not I should just kill the snail or keep it.

What are your thoughts on keeping/killing the pond snail?

Oh more about my tank, 5 Gallon, sponge filter, 7 Red Rili shrimps, 2 beds of monosolenium pellia and some decors.

post-6335-0-42439500-1379306121_thumb.jpgpost-6335-0-00856400-1379306135_thumb.jpg

Pond snails are the worst. They will eat your plants explode in population and then die as the food disappears. the only way to get rid of them is with chemicals or speciality snails or some loaches will eat them. If you can get rid of them NOW! If you like snails get yourself a small batch of assassin snails they will leave your plants alone and eat the pond snails.

The only reason snails get to out-of-control populations is b/c the tank is overfed. The shrimp are more motile than snails, and will quickly get to and consume the food they need - with only 6 shrimp in a tank, you don't need more than a miniscule amount of food.

I have a planted tank with 4 mystery snails and 3 different types of smaller ones which i never bothered to identify (came from plants i bought). I hear rumors of them overpopulating and destroying plants but i've found they are quite useful for algae maintenance and do not cause any grief. I actually quite like them and they do not bother any other critters like my cories or amano/ghost shrimp.

I have several planted tanks, and everytime I start a new one I move pond snails in. In my experience they explode at first in conjunction with new tank syndrome and while I'm getting things adjusted and in balance. Once the tank has settled the population balances out. I've never experienced pond snails eating my plants.

I've heard some people saying that they eat dead plants, do they eat live and fresh plants as well?

What about the moss that I have?

Only AFTER everything else is gone! :)

People give pond snails a bad wrap. They are just fine if the tank is not overfed. If any snail gets out of control it is who is looking after the tank not the snail.

Pond snails are scavengers and will eat whatever they can find that is dead. Dead plants, dead fish, dead shrimp, extra food, dead algae. I've never noticed them eating my live plants or moss.

+1

I have 24 plant species in my tank and the pond snails do not touch anything.

Edited by ckmullin

For the record: I don't mind pond snails at all. Some people are incredibly anal about NO pest snails in their tanks but I have no problem with them.. Does it really bother people to have a population of snails in their tanks that controls potential harmful waste in the tank? Oh oh, and they're FREE.

For the record: I don't mind pond snails at all. Some people are incredibly anal about NO pest snails in their tanks but I have no problem with them.. Does it really bother people to have a population of snails in their tanks that controls potential harmful waste in the tank? Oh oh, and they're FREE.

+1

I have several species of snails and they do rid the tank of algae and do a nice job of keeping the glass clean. I have never seen evidence of the pond snails eating live plants. Embrace them, the do a lot of good for the harmony of the tank. My suggestion would be to replace them with a nicer looking snail. Nothing prettier than seeing a tank with red ramshorn!